LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

question about A/F gauge.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about A/F gauge.

Stupid question probably but where would the A/F gauge get signal on a speed density tune car with no O2's?? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless your running mechanical Fuel injection, you will have o2 sensors. Even on a Speed density car.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by halucinator
Unless your running mechanical Fuel injection, you will have o2 sensors. Even on a Speed density car.
This is true , I have never seen a EFI system (stock or aftermarket) with no O2's and a A/F gauge is just about the most ricer thing you can stick in you car ,they are basically a flashy light . If you want to monitor your tune I would but a exhaust gas temp gauge in ,because they are more accurate .
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtperformance
This is true , I have never seen a EFI system (stock or aftermarket) with no O2's and a A/F gauge is just about the most ricer thing you can stick in you car ,they are basically a flashy light . If you want to monitor your tune I would but a exhaust gas temp gauge in ,because they are more accurate .
Well some export cars going to countries that use leaded fuels got O2-less injection. The Caprice was popular in the middleast and they sold them there without O2s or cats.

A true wideband O2 gauge can be useful but is not really something you leave installed.

The $50 things they sell in Summit that hook to the stock O2s are useless with injection because of the way it constantly varied AFR, can be useful on a carbed car.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Heck, I know most even think that the pillar gauge pods are ricer, I dont totally disagree but I've always wanted that 'look'. Tired of my plain jane interior. I'm definitely getting a tranny temp one and I wanted something else I could actually use of course too..(That isn't already on my stock panel.) Never heard of an exhaust gas temp gauge either. And also my O2's are cut off at the wires and I just knew my car didn't utilize them. Wish I could tell you more in depth about my tune.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
Heck, I know most even think that the pillar gauge pods are ricer, I dont totally disagree but I've always wanted that 'look'. Tired of my plain jane interior. I'm definitely getting a tranny temp one and I wanted something else I could actually use of course too..(That isn't already on my stock panel.) Never heard of an exhaust gas temp gauge either. And also my O2's are cut off at the wires and I just knew my car didn't utilize them. Wish I could tell you more in depth about my tune.
EGT. Most turbo cars utilize them. High EGTs=bad. I do have a O2 gauge in my car, and I hate it. Previous owner installed it and I wish I could remove it easily but doesn't look like I can. Its a light show at night while driving.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

I have one and love it. it really helped diagnose some problems I have had in the past. yea it is not very accurate but it will tell you if you are leaned out more often than rich and vice-versa. When my o2's went out the sensor let me know. otherwise i would have figured it to be ignition seeing how that is 90% of my problems.

but yes other than those small things i mentioned it is useless. but it does look cool, in my opinion. gets a lot more looks than nothing
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

if you don't have o2s there's no way to run an a/f gauge.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The $50 things they sell in Summit that hook to the stock O2s are useless with injection because of the way it constantly varied AFR, can be useful on a carbed car.
Yeah with the stock o2s an a/f gauge is only going tell you anything at wot when it's not constantly varying, and even there its not really accurate.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Well some export cars going to countries that use leaded fuels got O2-less injection. The Caprice was popular in the middleast and they sold them there without O2s or cats.

A true wideband O2 gauge can be useful but is not really something you leave installed.

I didnt know that , what style motors do/did they have Gen1,Gen2?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you arent using o2 sensors then your computer is tuned for open loop. your car would probably run better if you reconnected your o2's. only cars i have seen run tuned to stay in open loop were full out racecars.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtperformance
I didnt know that , what style motors do/did they have Gen1,Gen2?
I know the 94-6 Impalas were sold as "caprice SS" in the middleast complete with the deer logos even and they were setup like this with LT1s. For a long time guys were buying the "cat delete" pipes from GM . They were more commonly called "export pipes" because obviously they were intended for export use only.

I would assume it happened with a LOT of North American cars that get sold in places like the middleast where leaded fuel is the norm.

Quick Reply: question about A/F gauge.