LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 soundclips - no muffler vs. Super 44

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 soundclips - no muffler vs. Super 44

Finally got around to uploading some soundclips of my stock down to the paper filter m6 94 TA.

Idle, free rev, normal driving and WOT on stock exhaust minus the muffler:
stock exhaust no muffler driving.mp3 - 0.52MB

Idle, free rev and normal driving with flowmaster super 44 on stock exhaust:
flowmaster super 44 idle rev drive.mp3 - 1.07MB

WOT blast with the super 44 on stock exhaust:
flowmaster super 44 wot.mp3 - 0.57MB

There's bunch of pops and spikes in the sound because my recording device has a very sensitive mic that doesn't handle loud bass too well. Hope you've got headphones or a good sound system to get a good idea of how the two setups sound.

Is there an LT1 sound archive to which I can add this?

Last edited by Jeep_junkie; 04-16-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added a WOT clip
Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Super 44 on your T/A?Do you have picture of your set up?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um your clips are pointless with out WOT in them man
Old 04-13-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lilblackZ28
Is the Super 44 on your T/A?Do you have picture of your set up?
I'll post some pics soon. It's a single in/out muffler so I pretty much bolted it on in the stock location with a turndown. That's why I got no exhaust tips, although that something I will definitely fab up later because I am getting kinda bored with the no exhaust tip look.

Originally Posted by slick1851
Um your clips are pointless with out WOT in them man
That's your opinion. Most people want to know what it sounds like during normal everyday driving. I will record some WOT runs though... as soon as the weather becomes a bit more cooperative - we went straight back to winter after a few allergy inducing days of spring
Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I like you're all white TA...
Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

I am thinking about doing a set up like that with a super 44 but up until I havent heard it on our cars.Do you like its louder than the 80 series that flowmaster has?Thanks for gettin pics.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Dude, I like you're all white TA...
Thanks! I need to CETA the rear bumper and get some Corsa tips for it though.

I am thinking about doing a set up like that with a super 44 but up until I havent heard it on our cars.Do you like its louder than the 80 series that flowmaster has?Thanks for gettin pics.
Honestly, I think this muffler is way too loud for a daily driver. As you can tell, the tone is very ballsy but it's got so much bass, it'll shake your fillings out! I've got a few rattles inside that I never had before, not even without a muffler. Change will rattle so bad you'll carry it in your pockets. I do have a strategy for cutting down the noise though. I'm going to paint the unexposed side of my heat shields in the back with spray on bedliner from Walmart, so they'll quit rattling, and I'll also paint the entire underside of the rear floor with a few thick coats of the stuff. That should cut the interior noise down. Finally, running the exhaust through tips out the back should cut down the pounding bass I am getting from the turndown, which is actually pointed about 30 degrees down off the horizontal.

All said and done though, this muffler sounds very muscular. I can't imagine how sick it'll get once I replace the cat with an ORP.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

.. And add longtubes
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
.. And add longtubes
... and place an order for a hearing aid soon
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Haha..I dont have a cat right now with the 80 series and I like the way it sounds wether is flows well or not.I was goin to use my left tailpipe and then use the the right tailpipe and cut a hole in the intermetent pipe and weld the tail pipe on it.So it would like a cheap borla exhaust.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

dude not bashing you or anything but i could barely hear that thing even with volume all the way up, sounds very very quiet....
Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Haha..I dont have a cat right now with the 80 series and I like the way it sounds wether is flows well or not.I was goin to use my left tailpipe and then use the the right tailpipe and cut a hole in the intermetent pipe and weld the tail pipe on it.So it would like a cheap borla exhaust.
I had an 80 series crossflow on my old 94 with a gutted cat and it sounded good too. I was looking for a ballsier sound with the 44.

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
dude not bashing you or anything but i could barely hear that thing even with volume all the way up, sounds very very quiet....
yeah the sound hits all those frequencies which the mic doesn't pic up very well... after all it's only a voice recorder in my mp3 player! Let me put it this way, the sound is very heavy on the bottom end but it has hardly any top end frequencies which is why it 'sounds' quiet. You can hear the depth of the sound if you have a good sound system with a subwoofer but laptop or desktop speakers won't do it justice. I thought it was quiet too the first time I started it up with the muffler in place, but it's got a lot of bass to it when the motor is under load.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Launching!

IF you could get another clip that would be awesome.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Added a WOT clip for you guys. It's a crappy recording because my windows were down and wind noise caused a lot of pops and spikes. The damn muffler actually seems quieter at WOT since the rumble and drone goes away! Weird! the crossflow 80 on my old TA with a gutted cat sound way meaner. I know this thing will be nasty too though once I ditch the cat and put an ORY on. At least all that drone and resonance will be worth the better tone.

You're right it does sound quiet in the recordings - I might be getting old :p

Quick Reply: LT1 soundclips - no muffler vs. Super 44