LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 alternator questions

I have a strange alternator question to ask you guys. I'm running a complete standalone wiring harness and lately when my car has been running i'm seeing 12 volts constantly and have been having battery issues. Come to find out my car has been running off straight battery and my output lug off my alternator is not putting out 13-14 volts to charge the battery back up.... Here's my issue and question. The stock wiring harness has a plug that plugs into the alternator. Based on a wiring diagram that plug has ONE wire coming out of it. A small brown wire. Tracing it back using a wiring diagram that wire goes to the dash and terminates there so i'm thinking it is the feed for the voltage gauge with the stock instrument cluster.... The only other connection on the alternator is the output lug.... So i left the plug unused as I don't have a wire for it..... But i'm wondering if that's the reason my alternator isn't putting out any voltage...

I can't see why that brown wire would cause the alternator to stop doing what it's supposed to but at this point i'm confused whether i have a bad alternator or if I NEED that wire plugged in and connected to 12 volts to make the alternator work.... Does ANYONE have any idea what that plug does when it's plugged in to the alternator???
Old 04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That wire has to be plugged into the alternator. I can't remember if it needs 12volts or not. It is the signal/remote wire for the alternator.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I've been doing some research and found a site below that I linked... It has a real good section on 2 and 3 wire alternators. I actually DO have a wire that I capped and stowed that I believe is the signal wire for the alternator. The painless setup calls it the "exciter" wire... It seems that it's the #1 terminal in the plug and the 2 and 3 are optional according to this website below.... thanks tony. That solves one of my problems... My car was running and dynoed on battery only.... Wonder if that affected the fuel pump at all and had it running at less that optimum????

http://www.alternatorparts.com/under...lternators.htm
Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IF I remember right you can run it to ignition 12v. It is setup so you can not drive the car with out the dash to keep miles from racking up on the Speedo
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

i drove my battery down to 5V from after installing LTs. all that work and i forgot about that little bastard plug.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it was a fused 12v sourse but must be fused...or must have a resistor in it....

Quick Reply: LT1 alternator questions