LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is it bad for the VC's to have Breathers instead of Oil Caps?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad for the VC's to have Breathers instead of Oil Caps?

Ok you will have to forgive me I bought a vehicle that was built but needed interior and some love to bring her back. The motor had less then 1000 miles on an LT4 Build with more then a few extra's but the interior was gone.

So far I have just been going through replacing the interior, flushing the oil and replacing it, the rear diff fluid, the tranny fluid etc. However I noticed that the car seems to have an oddity, I thought for sitting so long it would burn a little oil while things got relubed, etc. It sat for a yr or more. (Not to much more)

However I noticed when I did the oil change the prior owner had breathers on the VC's however he had a long bolt forced into each to stop them from venting.... I took that out because I did not want to see the bolt fall into the motor... I noticed a little smoke coming out of them at first but nothing anymore.
I am just not sure its ok for them to be vented like that. Most motors I have worked on this causes problems. So I was hoping for some help here. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a breather in my passenger side valve cover where one of the PCV valves go, but I left the oil cap where it was. It doesn't really hurt anything, and the smoke is kinda common, so unless it's a LOT of smoke, it's nothing to worry about if it's just little puffs.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Well right now I am not sure how worried to be but its only little puffs sometimes out of them. However when i floor it thats another thing... still telling myself its because it sat so long. However since its only been about 5 days I think I will just wait and see.

I went to the trouble of making the EVAP Code go away and now I think I am going to make sure all the EGR is gone... lol. I am trying to decide if these long tubes I have are a good replacement for the BBK shorts I believe it has.

I am also trying to find out how to get a Tune done on an OBDII LT Series... evcery time I say its a 96 the results continue to be "I can't do it". I even tried asking the dealer just for the LT4 Specs to be flashed on it... no luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

contact Brian from PCMforless, he tuned my bolt on car and did an amazing job. he can probably tune LT4 package cars off of the top of his head since theyre common and he does ALOT of lt1 cars
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that create a vacuum leak since the PCV valve is connected to a vacuum source?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by green95vert
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that create a vacuum leak since the PCV valve is connected to a vacuum source?
There's 2 PCV valves. One in the intake (driver side) one in the valve cover (pass side). The Pass side one doesn't really matter. And it COULD'VE created a vacuum leak if I had not capped off the throttle body, but I'm smarter than that The intake and TB get dirty enough with 2 PCV, 1 less will hopefully keep it a LITTLE cleaner (not that it's been cleaned)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it bad for the VC's to have Breathers instead of Oil Caps?