LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem?

I bought this car with a bad tranny, got it running today and on the shake down run we noticed the transmisson is not shifting right. It wants to hold the gear way up in the rpm range before it shifts. It also does not want to shift back down to first. Then we noticed the speedo is not working. Could this be why the tranny is not shifting right? Any ideas on what to check out first? Cable is hooked up. This guy built the tranny for my other car and it has had no trouble. The car is a 95 a4. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had mine gutted out and built for a similar reason. It would hit the rev limiter in 1st, and 2nd. I would have to let off the gas for it to kick into the next gear. Although not the same problem you have, but sounds similar. If you say that "this guy" built this tranny (I'm assuming its the 4L60E), then your internal hardware should all be fresh. I would hook it up to a good computer at a shop and check out the tranny from an electronic standpoint. Lots and lots of electronic parts can and will go bad from really high heat exposure or just maybe faulty maintenance. But the computer diagnosis should tell you if certain sensors have failed ect....I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us updated.

-Matt
Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Yea it is a 4L60E, but thats a good question, I'm not sure if he did put new what looks like relays in the tranny, I know he put the new heavy duty sun stuff,(I'm not a tranny guy) but you raise a good question. He did say we need to put it on the computer to see whats going on.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdlt1
Yea it is a 4L60E, but thats a good question, I'm not sure if he did put new what looks like relays in the tranny, I know he put the new heavy duty sun stuff,(I'm not a tranny guy) but you raise a good question. He did say we need to put it on the computer to see whats going on.
I had the same problem when I bought mine. Ended up being a bad forward sprag. Gutted the whole thing and had a custom rebuild with a sick short shift kit. Now it barks em' in every gear
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

If that diagnosis doesn't tell you anything, and he did replace all the guts (like you normally do on a tranny rebuild), look into the valve body. They don't cost nearly as much to replace than it does to buy another trans. Did you guys try installing a shift kit in it? If so, that can and will create disasterous problems if not installed correctly.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

No shift kit, he did put a little more pressure on it he said. Anyone have any ideas on how I can check to see what is wrong with my speedometer. Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok stupid speed sensor. Code 24 I think is what kept coming up. He replaced it and bang the thing run like a Camaro again. This car runs great now, but still have some bugs to work out, AF for sure, cam makes things a little wacky. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem?