LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some LT4 Help, Smoking oil leak... supposedly 1000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some LT4 Help, Smoking oil leak... supposedly 1000 miles...

Ok I have been fixing this project up and have come across somethings I need some help with.

I am finding oil out of the tranny bell housing thats def motor oil so I assume the rear main seal.... for a motor with 1000 miles supposedly on the rebuild this worries me but it sat for a yr + before I bought it. How hard is this to replace? Can I access it just removing the tranny, flywheel etc or do I have to pull the crank... I am hoping I can pull this off without dropping the motor.

Next the car smokes when I floor it and its def oil blue white smoke. I thought it was because the car had not been run in awhile but I put 500 miles on it and its still doing it. (I flushed the motor, changed the tranny and diff fluids did all but plugs since they are so hard to get to). I am not sure what to think other then improper break in... which makes me believe piston rings... oh yay. Any other idea's?

Next whats this motor on the drivers side above the VC? I have no idea and it looks like crap... I want it off lol.

I am getting an SES for random Misfire but I never notice any misfire. I am not sure what to make of it I assume plugs which I will be doing once I find the best way around these headers... what should I be looking at?

Also I can not get the coolant light to stay off. I keep topping it off and I found a leaking hose finally but there are no further leaks and I keep refilling it and it will stay off for like 10 min and then come back on and stay on.... but there is no coolant in the oil or any leaks I can find. Is there a way to burp this system I do not know of?

To clarify this is an LT4 that was rebuilt and then supposedly had a 1000 miles put on it then parked. (For a yr +) I just want to get it back where I can enjoy it and DD until I can build a stroked motor LT or find a nice LS for it.

Last edited by Cross; 04-24-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear main just involves removing the tranny, flywheel, etc. but you need a special installer tool to put the new one in. The oil smoke you see could be bad valve seals. The motor above the VC is the ASR motor. You need a non-ASR throttle cable to delete it and remove it.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Ahh ok... well that answers one question on why the ASR Light is on... now to figure out the Airbag and ABS lights lol.

I thought bad valve seals but I would think it would smoke on start up too... Its only when I gun it or get on it. It would be nice if it was valve seals thats easier lol.

On this tool any help with a part number etc or name so I can try to buy one or should I resort to a shop for it.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can try to find it tomorrow in the parts room at work. You can rent one at autozone, I know that. It is just called a rear main seal installer tool. The ABS light is on because the ASR light is on. They work together. I thought about the valve seals after saying that and now I don't know. It could be a lot of things, hopefully not rings.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

I hope its not rings too... I don't mind doing the work but at that point were getting into more money and time and I bought this to have a solid motor and interior work lol. I really wish I knew of a way to narrow it down. but I do not think either would tell me spec valve seals or piston rings.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

wow.... it would appear that engine may need to be gone through again. what could answer a lot of questions is doing a leak-down on each cylinder.
if you don't see coolant leaking externally the it's going somewhere and most likely there are air bubbles in the coolant system or you have a blown head gasket(s). bad valve seals primarily smoke on start-up.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well it seems Piston Rings are def the culp. then since start up is not really an issue. its when I floor it/get on it. Then there is a nice cloud of smoke.

So its time to get head gaskets, piston rings and rehone the block. Fun Fun Fun.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Ok Talked to the Prior owner, and he is going to help me take a look. He is very surprised to hear I am having a problem he said he used Chrome moly Rings and there is no way I should be having the problem. I also mentioned the rear main seal and he said there is another explanation.

The Manifold has a rear quark gasket that will blow out and cause oil leaks. I am not sure if that would also cause the oil leak but today I floored it and there is def less of a cloud out the back... and it was blacker then normal so maybe I am just running rich and its cleaning out... I do not floor it often nor get on it much.

But either way this weekend we will take a look and see if that gasket is the problem as well as check some other things.

I also asked him if this motor was built enough to handle above 6500rpm for the Crane 831 cam he said yes so it seems I might be able to do that as well. He started listing off the things he had put in that will ensure it.

Anyway seems like I might get lucky here but I still plan on doing new rings until I see for sure this is the problem lol.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Any idea's on if this back gasket can cause my problem with the oil burning/leaking? Or should I make a new thread?

Quick Reply: Need some LT4 Help, Smoking oil leak... supposedly 1000 miles...