LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tune up ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tune up ?

my car has 149765 miles on the body an trainy. The motor was rebuilt an only has 62918 on it now. She's been a little sluggish lately is it time for a tune up. what should i get to bring my car back up to speed.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone over some help
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me an "old fart", but back in the late 60s, when I first started working on cars, a "tune up" consisted of a new distributor cap and rotor, a new set of plugs, a new set of points with a condenser, a new fuel filter and an air filter. Plug wires went for 2, sometimes 3 years, depending on the mileage.

OK, I realize that today's cars with electonic ignitions don't have "points" anymore, so scratch them. However, the electronic ignitions throw a LOT more voltage than the old point type ignitions, so while the plugs become less critical, 'cause all those extra volts will fire them, everything else becomes MORE critical, because of the extra volts they are required to send.

To answer the original question, what would constitute a "tune-up"? I would say cap and rotor (on an LT-1), plugs, wires, fuel and air filters, and a good dose of either Chevron Techron of Red Line fuel system cleaner. And, while you're crawling around the front of the engine changing the car and rotor, if it's an LT-1, maybe a new alternator belt, for good measure.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I would replace the ignition coil too along with cap and rotor if it already hasn't been done. along with all the usual stuff