LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

throttle body bypass pros VS cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default throttle body bypass pros VS cons

I dont really know much about it. Does this mod actually make more horsepower or, whats its purpose
Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the throttle body is supplied coolant to prevent it from freezing. in most cases, these cars dont see freezing cold weather or they are garaged during the winter.

so a lot of people will perform this "mod" to keep hot coolant away from the throttle body and keep the throttle body cool, thus cooling intake air charge.

my personal opinion, waste of time. i hate coolant. i hate getting it on my hands. this mod isnt worth ****. ive done a lot of research, your intake manifold is going to absorb heat from the block and heads, so the throttle body will absorb heat from the intake. its going to get hot either way, but it doesnt matter anyway because the air will eventually enter the intake, heads, and combustion chamber, which dont change in temp by doing this mod, so the air will still get hot.

i did it back when i was a noob, but now i realize all these little free mods are a waste of time and create unnessesary risks.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine. Its very easy and I drove mine during the freezing cold a few times. never gave me any problems. It has been proven to be 4-6 RWHP by several places around me. It might not be seat of your pants power, but it all adds up.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

it's not a waste of time, it is worth a little hp.

no cons really

I also fail to see how it creates an "unnecessary risk". It was designed to prevent the tb from freezing but I have never heard of a case where that happened as a result of this being done.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by infinitebird
it's not a waste of time, it is worth a little hp.

no cons really

I also fail to see how it creates an "unnecessary risk". It was designed to prevent the tb from freezing but I have never heard of a case where that happened as a result of this being done.
agreed I see no risk especially if you live in a warm place. i.e. texas or something of the like.

I did mine and it was easy and now when if I take off my t.b. I don't have coolant everywhere
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No risk if the modification is performed CORRECTLY I guess. Then again I tell myself its a risk everytime I go WOT and shift at 6k.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I did it when I had my LT1 and when I got off of the road you could put your hand on the TB and it was cold. I don't know about it absorbing Heat, it was pretty damn cold everytime.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by noriceinside
[snipped] my personal opinion, waste of time. i hate coolant. i hate getting it on my hands. this mod isnt worth ****. ive done a lot of research, your intake manifold is going to absorb heat from the block and heads, so the throttle body will absorb heat from the intake. its going to get hot either way, but it doesnt matter anyway because the air will eventually enter the intake, heads, and combustion chamber, which dont change in temp by doing this mod, so the air will still get hot.
I did the mod a couple of weeks ago. Relieved the pressure in the system - I had,
maybe, just a few drops of coolant come out when removing the hoses. The whole
process took much less than 10 minutes - additionally, I got no coolant on my hands.

Originally Posted by noriceinside
i did it back when i was a noob, but now i realize all these little free mods are a waste of time and create unnessesary risks.
Free mods add up. Sure, if you do just one, such as this one, wont make much
difference - the true worth is when you do multiple mods that make a difference.
When I come home from the office, I drop the change out of my pocket into my
"change drawer" - sure, 13 cents or 77 cents isnt much, but it adds up - last time
we counted, there was over $400 buck in the drawer.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
I did it when I had my LT1 and when I got off of the road you could put your hand on the TB and it was cold. I don't know about it absorbing Heat, it was pretty damn cold everytime.
Correct. The TB is an island, so wont absorb much heat from adjacent components.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

has anyone even shown whether it actually DOES prove hp numbers?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moserman
has anyone even shown whether it actually DOES prove hp numbers?
http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the gasket helps a bit to keep the heat away from the TB. If there was no air moving from the TB into the engine, and you got the motor up to 200F with say, a system like F1 cars where they pump hot coolant through the motor (because when cold, they are essentially seized up due to such tight variances when built), that MIGHT get the TB warm. I just think that the air really helps, as well as the aluminum construction. My intake actually doesn't get very hot, however my crappy eBay CAI that is chrome steel, does. (I'm not the tard that bought it, came on the car.)
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

can someone show pics of how to do this?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28camaross
can someone show pics of how to do this?
http://shbox.com/1/tb_bypass.jpg
Old 04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

IMO I see no reason not to do it, whether it offers gains or not. I don't feel the need everytime I want to pull my TB to clean it, or to pull the intake, to have to dick around with coolant being routed through the trottle body.

As for freezing, many many LT1 b-bodies get driven in all sorts of nasty cold *** weather. I don't think I've ever seen a single mention of the TB freezing up.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
IMO I see no reason not to do it, whether it offers gains or not. I don't feel the need everytime I want to pull my TB to clean it, or to pull the intake, to have to dick around with coolant being routed through the trottle body.
And there is the best reason for doing this mod
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
I think the gasket helps a bit to keep the heat away from the TB. If there was no air moving from the TB into the engine, and you got the motor up to 200F with say, a system like F1 cars where they pump hot coolant through the motor (because when cold, they are essentially seized up due to such tight variances when built), that MIGHT get the TB warm. I just think that the air really helps, as well as the aluminum construction. My intake actually doesn't get very hot, however my crappy eBay CAI that is chrome steel, does. (I'm not the tard that bought it, came on the car.)
LOL been watching a little top gear have we?

to the OP if you are torn enough to make a whole thread about this mod that takes less than 5 minutes then i think you would be better off not doing it. it seems you already have your doubts and it would be worth the piece of mind to just leave it on.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:33 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
LOL been watching a little top gear have we?

to the OP if you are torn enough to make a whole thread about this mod that takes less than 5 minutes then i think you would be better off not doing it. it seems you already have your doubts and it would be worth the piece of mind to just leave it on.
Haha, that's what I was thinking too.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Launching!

It can't hurt to bypass it cause the new vettes, tahoes, subs, and trucks don't have coolant lines running through the throttle body anymore. I did it to mine long ago with no ill effects, but I live in Texas.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonp31
No risk if the modification is performed CORRECTLY I guess. Then again I tell myself its a risk everytime I go WOT and shift at 6k.
Ha 6k is a walk in the park I only wish i could get away shifting that low on the stock short block. You wont have any problems.

Just do the mod, Im doing it soon for the heck of it, I cant see any real consequences of doing it and any power helps even if you cant feel it because it all adds up.

Quick Reply: throttle body bypass pros VS cons