LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Plug wires question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug wires question?

I have a 96 trans am with lt1 and i am installing longtube headers and aparently the previous owner never changed the wires on the car so i am wanting to put new wires on but dont know what kind of wires i was just told 8mm wires! but if i get direct fit will i have to cut and crimp the wires to the optispark or are they ready to just put up, and which ones do i need the 90 degree or straight ones? also where do i run route them on the engine , behind the power steering pump or somewheres else?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I recommend Taylor over the valve cover wires. I had to burn a few other sets before I went with this option. Working with headers is a pain with plug wires. 90 degree boot is good, maybe look into heat shields also. The one's I got were cut your own length. They had the opti part already on them but you needed to cut them to fit and crimp the plug part on. kinda a pain but man not nearly as annoying as arching wires. plus they look great in your engine bay.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

msd work fantastic just dont put them near ur headers at all
Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Launching!

ok where could i get a set at and what do u have to do to cut a crimp? u talking about the spark plug side is the one u have to cut a crimp?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a set of msd 8mm, kinda a pain in the as to rout the passneger side so that no pullyds rubed them *if any one knows a better way PLEASE PM ME!* also had to get rid of all the stock looms as the new wires woudlent fit...but so far so good