LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBD1 issues... wtfbbq!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 issues... wtfbbq!?

Bought a OBD1 code reader to try and read the stored codes for my missfire issue.. and everytime you plug it in, with the switch on ECU- the sevice engine soon and engine light turn right off.. and the fans come on!!!

the fans never come on with it just on IGN. if you switch it to the ABS reader, the fans shut off.

is this normal? or do i have a bad computer somewhere.. or bad wiring?

any help would be most excellent.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

If you are referring to the little OBD 1 actron code readers you get at autozone they wont work properly on a Camaro.You most likely are going to have to find someone with a scan tool or take it to the dealership to pull DTC's.The reason is the 4th Gen Camaro uses an OBD 2 diagnositic port/data link connector(DLC) eventhough 93-95 Camaros are OBD 1 systems.

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 04-27-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Launching!

What year is your car? in 94 you can run an OBD1 Cable (which is what I do) -- Once you step up to 95 you get into the issue above ^^^.

You might want to return your OBD1 reader, and get an ALDL cable with software. I'd suggest Datamaster TT. they have a program specific for LT1's, and it's helped me out a LOT!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

its a 94! i got the GM OBD 1 reader with the switchable ECM/ABS button.
im guessing now the fans are part of the check system.

still i have no codes.. this is getting nuts since mis-fire problem looks like can be 8 different things including..

EGR
Spark Plugs
Opti-spark
Ign Control Module
Timing
air leak ( which i have, but dont think its big enough to cause this!)

great, where do i go from here?!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

i know anytime i flash my computer the fans turn on.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OBDI cars cannot provide misfire detection. The OBDII cars can with the use of the crank sensor which OBDI cars do not have. Is the Check engine light on indicating that you have a stored code?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Time to start trouble-shooting... My car runs like **** if I don't change the plugs every 20,000 miles. Start checking basics... Got spark? Got fuel? Check your plugs. Are they gummed up? do they need to be replaced?

I replaced my plugs and wires recently and the difference is always amazing.

Timing shouldn't be an issue, as unless you're messing around with your computer, and timing, it should be fine. The computer makes changes to timing as required.

Do you have any friends with LT1's? Try and swap Ignition Coils to make sure your coil is working well. It's quick, and easy to do.

with those bases covered, if you're still running rough, and misfiring, I'd be concerned about Opti. that's a whole other story... Get ready for a day in the garage!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

i just bought some NGK v-powers to replace the Bosch platnium+4's the guy installed, getting a Aluminumn elbow to replaced the cracked rubber one, and seeing if that helps, the plug wires are brand new duralast..which i will probably grab some MSD's in town tomorrow when i get a chance.

im just hoping its not the Opti-, becuase then i have to order and wait for it to be shipped. Online = 130$, Autozone = 320$

ok so OBD1 no help in misfire or knock dectection.. dammit, shoulda bought a 96+ lol.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Sounds like it might be Opti... Even if it isn't, you'll want to replace it sooner than later anyways. Make sure when you buy it that you get an entire new opti, not just cap and rotor. You can get one from Summit racing equipment for under $250. Accell unit I think. I used MSD, it was closer to $500. Just be sure that if you order one for $130 its not just a cap and rotor.