LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Motor... Question about Vacuum and PCV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 Motor... Question about Vacuum and PCV

Ok for awhile now I have been trying to figure out why a motor that has less the 3000 miles only smokes when you hit the gas (aka floor it) the rest of the time its fine.

Today I decided I was going to remove the Intake Manifold and check the rear gasket as I was told it could leak there.

Well I got the TB off and saw a nice collection of oil right below it but no leaks, oil on the back of the TB and plenty of oil in the intake.

Now the only thing I could think of was that it was pulling oil from what I thought was the PCV Valve that went from the Passanger side top of the TB to the Passanger side Valve Cover.

However according to the manual on LT1's it says its on the back of the Intake Manifold....

This line I mentioned from the TB to the VC has no check valve its just a line that plugs directly into the VC and then directly into that top line on the TB.

Could oil be sucked through there and be my problem?
Does anyone else have any idea's?

I am going to go see if I can find this other location for the PCV but I can see plenty of oil residue in the IM, not pooled as far as I can tell but I def can see the oil in there....

Def could use another head here helping out.

---Update Def Need some Help---
So I found the elbow on the Passanger Rear of the VC that goes directly to the TB thinking it needed a PCV Valve in it. So I put one of those Summit Universals on it.
Now I am still not sure how oil is getting into my Mani but I found the real PCV after seeing my Friends 94 Formula had the same elbow... it seems fine but I will buy another tomorrow. However I did not find really any oil residue in the PCV Mount hole I guess I would call it... but I found oil under the TB and in the IM after the TB... But I am still not sure where this oil is coming from.... So I am def looking for some help with idea's on this...

Last edited by Cross; 05-01-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Ok for awhile now I have been trying to figure out why a motor that has less the 3000 miles only smokes when you hit the gas (aka floor it) the rest of the time its fine.

Today I decided I was going to remove the Intake Manifold and check the rear gasket as I was told it could leak there.

Well I got the TB off and saw a nice collection of oil right below it but no leaks, oil on the back of the TB and plenty of oil in the intake.

Now the only thing I could think of was that it was pulling oil from what I thought was the PCV Valve that went from the Passanger side top of the TB to the Passanger side Valve Cover.

However according to the manual on LT1's it says its on the back of the Intake Manifold....

This line I mentioned from the TB to the VC has no check valve its just a line that plugs directly into the VC and then directly into that top line on the TB.

Could oil be sucked through there and be my problem?
Does anyone else have any idea's?

I am going to go see if I can find this other location for the PCV but I can see plenty of oil residue in the IM, not pooled as far as I can tell but I def can see the oil in there....

Def could use another head here helping out.
Yes, that could be your issue...you may want to try a good catch can mod. Ours has an integrated PCV valve in it to avoid confusion when installing. Either way, you should NOT have any direct connection from the crankcase to the intake w/out a PCV valve installed correctly.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm that looks like a great idea.

I just want to confirm I do not have some other PCV Valve somewhere but this def should not be here lol.

Hopefully this handles the problem... it would be nice if it was that simple.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Ok I just looked at my friends 94 formula and he has the same elbow only in the same place and his is stock... currently he cant go above 3k so I am not sure if he has the problem.

But we both have the elbow... now I am not so sure this is how oil is getting in my manifold....
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

Still not sure I fixed it with putting a Summit Universal type one on... I still spit out white smoke only when I rev the motor high or floor it. But then I was only seeing it sitting in a parking lot reving so I could see it... while driving it was to dark to tell really....

So I am still looking for other idea's.... anyone?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Still not sure I fixed it with putting a Summit Universal type one on... I still spit out white smoke only when I rev the motor high or floor it. But then I was only seeing it sitting in a parking lot reving so I could see it... while driving it was to dark to tell really....

So I am still looking for other idea's.... anyone?

White smoke is usually a sign of water/coolant entering the combustion process (head gasket, etc.) & blue smoke is oil related. Make sure of the color & if it is coolant, the exhaust will have a "sweet" smell (if antifreeze is in the radiator).
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

There is no AF in it just distilled water and water wetter. It smells like gas to be honest and because of the rear tint I am not sure... I think its blue white but I keep second guessing myself.

Quick Reply: LT4 Motor... Question about Vacuum and PCV