LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

XE, XE-high lift, XE-R, XFI Cam Lobes. Who knows the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default XE, XE-high lift, XE-R, XFI Cam Lobes. Who knows the difference?

Looking for a good detailed explanation of the following Comp Cam lobe profiles:
XE
XE-high lift
XE-R
XFI

I want to understand which are the easiest and which are the hardest to control the valves. Which tend to provide the most power and which are brutal on valvetrain. Any other additional info is appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to be a d!ck or anything but why dont you call Comp as its there lobe designs?. Who better to ask but the manufacture.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I find Comp to be of very little use regarding things like this cause its in their interest to provide safe or conservitive information. The promised that 26918's would control my valves which turned out to be total BS.

I have a lot of faith in the gearheads on this forum to provide detailed answers relating to my questions.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

XE is Xtreme Energy which is the same lobes used the the cc503 for example. The XE lobes are pretty aggressive but not too aggressive. The XFI lobes are more aggressive than the XE lobes and require the use of quality valvetrain components like beehive springs etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Looking for a good detailed explanation of the following Comp Cam lobe profiles:
XE
XE-high lift
XE-R
XFI

I want to understand which are the easiest and which are the hardest to control the valves. Which tend to provide the most power and which are brutal on valvetrain. Any other additional info is appreciated.

Thanks guys.
1) Ask Comp

2) Ask your cam designer. If that is to be you, as it appears, you are probably SOL.

How familiar are you with the definitions of 'Cam Velocity' 'Cam Intensity', 'Acceleration' and 'Jerk' ? If not, see 2) above.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn if you don't wanna help the guy don't respond. I'm sure that somebody on this forum understands it and knows the answers to his questions. If you can't ask questions to find info from guys on here who have experience then there is no point to this FN forum.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackz6sp
Damn if you don't wanna help the guy don't respond. I'm sure that somebody on this forum understands it and knows the answers to his questions. If you can't ask questions to find info from guys on here who have experience then there is no point to this FN forum.
I agree.
I am looking for a just an understanding of why one lobe is different from another from the "gearheads" point of view.
I am not looking to build my own cam in the garage.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XE-R is an lsx lobe so that doesn't apply.

I'de try to get ahold of someone knowledgeable at comp if that's even possible. You're probably going to get alot of people guessing in here so take it for what its worth. Goin by .050 to .200 duration they are in this order.

XE, XFI, XE high lift. There's more to lobe agressiveness than .050 to .200 duration though, but this should give you a rough estimate.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

From what I know about the XFI cam it is designed for late model FI motors and is designed to be used with 1:6 RR and "bee hive" springs. The info I read when I got mine said the ramps are faster vs a cam for a "carb" motor.

I do not have any "graph" info for the comparisons you ask regarding lobes, LSA, etc.

I will post my cam card info and maybe others who have a XE, XE-R can do the same and you can make comparisons. With that said that info would be available on the COMP website.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
1) Ask Comp

2) Ask your cam designer. If that is to be you, as it appears, you are probably SOL.

How familiar are you with the definitions of 'Cam Velocity' 'Cam Intensity', 'Acceleration' and 'Jerk' ? If not, see 2) above.

Good luck.
Comments like that are not needed. For the guys that ask why people dislike them, that post is a good example.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
Comments like that are not needed. For the guys that ask why people dislike them, that post is a good example.
LOL weren't you the one calling for me to be banned?

then you have THIS in your sig?

you need to rethink things

your sig also violates LS1tech sig rules. I call for a ban.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just incase anyone missed it, OldSStroker is Bret Bauer's father, Bret is the guy who sold the OP a valvetrain that was worn out in 2000 miles.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Just in case anyone missed it, OldSStroker is Bret Bauer's father, Bret is the guy who sold the OP a valvetrain that was worn out in 2000 miles.
Oh, no one missed that, 96capricemgr, unless they fell off the turninp truck very recently.

Everyone want's to be a moderator, but so few are chosen!

I attempted to be a bit subtle, but you guys evidently don't want that so, to be blunt, I don't think the OP has a clue about valvetrains, or any of the physics that apply to them. Agree or disagree on that point, 96capricemgr?

I think the OP should grace another provider (eg. AI) with his business. That would be a hell of a lot better for him than trying to spec his own cam and valvetrain bits and save him a ton of money in the end. He needs to spread the wealth around. I'm not sure AI would be happy with the deal in the end, however, especially if they read all of the OP's posts and responses.

You know about the 5% (or 2% or 3%) rule in sales, don't you? It applies in this case big time.

Jon Bauer
(Bret Bauer's father, if anyone missed it)

PS: Just between us (don't tell the mods), I'm not supposed to mention that on here because he is not a sponsor and is banned from posting, but you brought it up 96capricemgr. Thank you for doing so.

PS#2: Oh $h*t, I just plugged a non-sponsor (AI) in my post! Here come da' judge!

JB

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-01-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: To clarify the subtle reference to certain posters.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zigroid
LOL weren't you the one calling for me to be banned?

then you have THIS in your sig?

you need to rethink things

your sig also violates LS1tech sig rules. I call for a ban.
you insulted a member, show me where I called him a name or insulted him. Hey I belive your bandwagon is leaving get on board.

WRD1972
I would get my cousin in here (since he did grind his own cams in the 70's and did not use someone elses lobe designs) but only comp can really answer your question, since they made the changes for each series.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

1) Ask Comp

Good luck.
Oh, no one missed that, 96capricemgr, unless they fell off the turninp truck very recently.

Everyone want's to be a moderator, but so few are chosen!

I attempted to be a bit subtle, but you guys evidently don't want that so, to be blunt, I don't think the OP has a clue about valvetrains, or any of the physics that apply to them. Agree or disagree on that point, 96capricemgr?

I think the OP should grace another provider (eg. AI) with his business. That would be a hell of a lot better for him than trying to spec his own cam and valvetrain bits and save him a ton of money in the end. He needs to spread the wealth around. I'm not sure AI would be happy with the deal in the end, however, especially if they read all of the OP's posts and responses.

Where did I say I wanted to spec my own cam? Did not.
Did I claim to have a clue about valvetrains? No.
Did I ask for subtle? No
Did I rip Brett in this thread or any other? No
Did I even mention AI? No.

WTF is you problem. Maybe I should have called GM to ask about rebuilding my motor according to your logic.

I am trying to educate myself about cam lobes, their characteristics and requirements for my own benefit and curiosity. I asked a simple question. You are providing nothing useful but smack. I did nothing to rattle your cage and cause your pissy panties to get wadded up like this. If you want to turn this into a Brett ripping thread, just let me know now. I know many board members that would die to come to that party.

For the time being. Please take your turnip truck, velocity, intensity, and Jerk (how fitting) and

Thanks to the guys that are providing useful comments.

Last edited by wrd1972; 05-02-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: was not done yet
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Where did I say I wanted to spec my own cam? Did not.
Did I claim to have a clue about valvetrains? No.
Did I ask for subtle? No
Did I rip Brett in this thread or any other? No
Did I even mention AI? No.

WTF is you problem. Maybe I should have called GM to ask about rebuilding my motor according to your logic.

I am trying to educate myself about cam lobes, their characteristics and requirements for my own benefit and curiosity. I asked a simple question. You are providing nothing useful but smack. I did nothing to rattle your cage and cause your pissy panties to get wadded up like this. If you want to turn this into a Brett ripping thread, just let me know now. I know many board members that would die to come that party.

For the time being. Please take your turnip truck, velocity, intensity, and Jerk (how fitting) and

Thanks to the guys that are providing useful comments.

LMFAO
Old 05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
you insulted a member, show me where I called him a name or insulted him. Hey I belive your bandwagon is leaving get on board.
I insulted a board member who was insulting other board members.

to the OP, sell your LE stuff and go with <non sponsor>!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys, FOCUS
I dont want this to become a LE or BRE ripping thread.

Let please stick to the original question.
XE
XE-high lift
XE-R
XFI

Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, FOCUS
I dont want this to become a LE or BRE ripping thread.

Let please stick to the original question.
XE
XE-high lift
XE-R
XFI

There is a lot of information and a certain level of understanding needed to completely answer your open-ended questions. Here is my suggestion to you:

Go online to Comp Cams' Master Lobe Profile Catalog. It's a 3.2 meg .pdf download. Look thru it for descriptions and specs on the lobe series you mentioned. Digest that information for a while. There is a good chance you will be able to answer many of your own questions. How about coming back and posting your own answers. I'm sure folks will chime in if they agree/disagree. It will give them at least a starting point.

I thought everyone with a cam question like this looked at the catalogs first. My mistake, I guess.

If I seemed(!) harsh on you, I did not think you were prepared enough for the real answers. No offense intended. Not knowing something, even the basics, is not a sin. Not trying to educate yourself by your own efforts but rather asking to be spoon-fed info which you may not understand is, IMO, a mortal sin.

You need to put some effort into you own education of this topic. If you are unwilling to do that, I am unwilling to spoon-feed you.

"Give a man a fish and..." You know the rest.

Jon

FWIW, 'Jerk' is the rate of change of 'acceleration', which is the rate of change of 'velocity' which is the rate of change of 'distance' (or lift). All of these are extremely important to understanding valvetrains.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-02-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...obeCatalog.pdf

Your intake lobe is 3192.
Subract the .200 duration from .050 duration. Generally speaking the smaller the number the more agreesive the lobe is.Smaller # = faster, more agressive ramps that are opening and closing faster. And Like I said the XE-R is an LSx lobe so you can't run it.

The high lift versions that have lobe numbers in the 3100's are more aggressive over the nose and will require more spring or less rpm.

Quick Reply: XE, XE-high lift, XE-R, XFI Cam Lobes. Who knows the difference?