LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much abuse can a Centerforce take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much abuse can a Centerforce take?

Lets just pretend that a dumbass severly smoked his clutch one afternoon. Instead of doing a burnout from first all the way through second(like normal), he did a wheel burnout in first and a clutch burnout through second. It was a brand new Centerforce. 6 months later the clutch still works fine. It is about to see the juice, which it has not seen in a long time, on the dragstrip. Does anybody have any input on weather the clutch will last on the strip.
Any input apprecieated.

Signed
Dumbass
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if the clutch got so hot it "glazed" the surface than it's holding power has been compromised. Just burning a disc will wear it but not kill it.

I have found that my head/cam car did OK with a organic/puc type disc like the centerforce but when I did my 383...it would not hold. I went to a puc/puc type disc.

Ran a SPEC 2+ which held well until it did die...on the starting line with 5000 miles on it. I now run a ZOOM HP which is also a kevlar puc design on both sides. So far it holds and has better street maners than the SPEC.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
So far it holds and has better street maners than the SPEC.
which type of spec clutch are you referring to?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

i used to run a spec with ceramic buttons... and power shifting is a no no... but i did alot of clutch changing (on number 7) before i talked to a guy that builds some bad @@# clutches and the problem is not with the clutch not holding... it actually the pressure plate giving out... something to do with the design of the tranny will not allow a good pressure plate... but i found a place call competition clutch i think out of georgia... they hooked me up with a BIG pressure plate and a puck clutch with ceramic on both sides... and so far about 7 passes at the track some power shifting and no slipage... so i would recommend them to anyone... but spray coming soon so i will let you know how it does
Old 05-04-2008, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Street Twin. Problem solved.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

if i ever have clutch trouble again, im going street twin. we'll see how the centerforce holds up
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowZinthe513
which type of spec clutch are you referring to?
SPEC 2+
Attached Thumbnails How much abuse can a Centerforce take?-lt-1-clutches-077.jpg   How much abuse can a Centerforce take?-lt-1-clutches-078.jpg  
Old 05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
SPEC 2+
My buddy bought one JUST like that, but it wasn't a spec. It was for his Cummins Diesel mind you, but he sheered EVERY single rivet out of the center portion. So he took some bolts and and tightened them down, cut off the excess and then welded the nut to the bolt heh. Soon after he fried the trans, got a new NV4500, fried it and got it rebuilt by a diesel shop who specializes in building up manuals. I suppose it's mostly his fault, since he got a bigger turbo, called Cummins and they said the stock motor will handle 60psi no problem all day. So we just pulled the waste gate vacuum line and he runs 35psi

heh Sorry >_> The first part is kinda relevant. BTW his was kevlar.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula350
My buddy bought one JUST like that, but it wasn't a spec. It was for his Cummins Diesel mind you, but he sheered EVERY single rivet out of the center portion. So he took some bolts and and tightened them down, cut off the excess and then welded the nut to the bolt heh. Soon after he fried the trans, got a new NV4500, fried it and got it rebuilt by a diesel shop who specializes in building up manuals. I suppose it's mostly his fault, since he got a bigger turbo, called Cummins and they said the stock motor will handle 60psi no problem all day. So we just pulled the waste gate vacuum line and he runs 35psi

heh Sorry >_> The first part is kinda relevant. BTW his was kevlar.
this has to be one of the most pointless posts i have seen
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995ta383
this has to be one of the most pointless posts i have seen
Glad I could oblige
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Since the main topic on this was clutch abuse we figured you may entertain some one abusing one of our D2 twin discs....

Mike Peters is a professional drifter and his weapon of choice may appear to be a Nissan 240, but it packs a LS Magnacharged power plant that we thought would be a great test bed for a Zoom D2 twin disc clutch set up.

Now for those that have not had seat time in a drift car you should know that 'clutch kicking' is one of three techniques of initiating a drift. You'll see Mike doing so... at over 6000RPM in this video link!

PS. He installed this Twin Disc over a year ago and is still running it today!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQXEz06v7s

...may want to keep Zoom as an option.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

First pass - 12.2 @ 113.

Second Pass - 11.9 @ 117.

Third Pass - Total Destruction of the clutch.

Time for a new setup.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

mine is going on 2 1/2 years, but i dont think its holding 1st gear punches as well as it used to. its been a good DD clutch from what i can say. itll randomly give me slippage in 6th, but a good dump of it will make it hold again. dont know if its just glazed, or what.

oh, and the sound of the weights on the plate clacking around will drive you nuts
Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Is that what that noise is? Push the clutch in and it goes away. I assumed it was the throwout bearing. I have friends that hear the same noise and were not sure what it was. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda random, but has anyone tried a mcleod disk on a centerforce presure plate? my disk is beginning to slip and figured it might be worth a shot...
Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

A "centerforce pressure plate"? I've never heard anyone used a pressure plate other than stock. Even the baddest of all LT1 clutches, the McLoed Street Twin, uses a stock LTx pressure plate (balanced to match the assembly of course).

Anyway, for comparison purposes, my Street Twin was used for 150,000+ miles including 100+ passes at the strip and hundreds of hours in stop and go traffic (thank you 405 S-curves)... when we pulled it to install a 396 the disks were about half used... probably had another 100,000 miles left. One of the many advantages of a twin disk over a single disk design.

Sorry to here about your glazed clutch giving out, but that's what happens. The glazed disk/flywheel cause heat warping causing high/low spots that increase heating and decrease heat wicking from the disk... add to that the decreased friction between the two thanks to the glaze and you have a higher chance of slipping in the future.

I have a nasty feeling that faster second pass had to do with clutch slippage acting like a torque converter and letting you get up the power band quickly... that goes hand in hand with the much higher trap speed as well... just a guess, but that'd be my guess.

Go street twin and save cash in the long run.

Quick Reply: How much abuse can a Centerforce take?