LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hooker LT Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hooker LT Install

I have my old headers off and have the car jacked up as high as my jack will go and then some, and i still can't get either of my hooker lontubes in. (Car is a 95 z28 m6). If i can get the front of the car high enough, is it possible to get both in from the bottom? I've heard that some people have had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor to get the passenger side in from the top, but i am not familiar with how to jack up the motor and would rather get the car high just put both in from the bottom. (help here is appreciated too)

This is as high as i can get the car right now.

If you guys have ANY links or write-ups on here or other forums of LT install, please pass them along. I need help haha
Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot get them in without jacking the motor up. They just don't fit. Also, your car is high enough up you just need to take the motor up, simple as that. And I put both headers in from the bottom.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95Firehawk
You cannot get them in without jacking the motor up. They just don't fit. Also, your car is high enough up you just need to take the motor up, simple as that. And I put both headers in from the bottom.
okay, any tips on the best way to jack up the motor? I've never done it before so i'm a newb. In fact, i just got my first look at the motor mounts today. Also how far should i jack up the motor to be able to get them in?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Well when I did it I jacked the motor up about 3-4 inches. Also, I put new motor mounts on because my passenger side was smashed and the collector on the header was hitting against my frame and wouldn't fit. So I took my mount completely off to put the new one on. When I took the mounts off I jacked the motor up first to get the tention off, then just ubolted them and took them out. When you put them back on attach them to the block first then lower the motor to the correct height. Hope this helps...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95Firehawk
Well when I did it I jacked the motor up about 3-4 inches. Also, I put new motor mounts on because my passenger side was smashed and the collector on the header was hitting against my frame and wouldn't fit. So I took my mount completely off to put the new one on. When I took the mounts off I jacked the motor up first to get the tention off, then just ubolted them and took them out. When you put them back on attach them to the block first then lower the motor to the correct height. Hope this helps...
thanks man i'll give it a go tonight. Guess im probably gonna have to lower the car a bit though so my other jack can reach the motor.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a safety suggestion...The way your car is now, you've got it at quite an angle, and it probably wouldn't take much for one or both of the jackstands to slide around, especially if you start lifting the engine. I would get another set of stands under the rear axle, and get the car more level.

I don't like to see people get hurt while trying to have some fun with their car...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that front end looks plenty high to me. i didnt have to raise my engine either but every car is different

rasie the rear of the car also and see if that helps
Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Location: i am from tennessee, am stationed in north carolina, deployed to afganastan
Default headers

i dont think you should have to jack the motor up i am not sure how your year is set up, but you may be able to just take off the starter and put it in from the bottom, also jack the rear end of the car up.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First and foremost, SAFETY. Make sure the car is secured on the jackstands.
Yes, you should be able to install both side from the bottom.
Just be patient and play around with it in different angles. Thats how I did mine, with no issues, Good luck.
The starter will have to come down on the passenger side. Steering shaft also, and you should be good to go.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

starter, steering shaft and oil filter have all been removed and still no luck. I don't understand why my car is different from everybody elses? The first exhaust port tubing always hits the K member when i try to get the drivers side in. I'll try passengers sidfe later
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

OK you can put both sides in from the bottom it just takes some grunt, also if your motor mounts are weak you can jack up the engine with out taking it loose, just make sure not to dent the oil pan. Next time rent a lift, its really unsafe on the ground
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

when jacking up the motor, can i undo the passenger side, jack up that side and get the header in, then do the same over on the drivers side? I guess what i'm asking is is it okay to jack from the center of the engine (oil pan) and only lift one side if i lift 3-4"?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt jack on the oil pan. thats just asking for trouble. what i did was take a 2x2 piece of wood about 8-12inches long and jacked the engine up from the bottom of the timing chain cover. my driver side went in really easy. passenger side you kinda have to twist it in there. and yeah you can do one side at a time
Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

I have installed Hooker LTs in 2 different LT1 cars and did not have to jack the engine.
Put the rear tires on a pair of full size spares, make sure they are just old wheels and tires you don't care about. Now get the front end higher, both of the ones I did the front of the car was much higher. You have to get it higher so you can get the angle you need. We had issues with them hitting the floor when we tryed to tilt them to get the angle needed to slide up in there, once we got the front end high enough they went right in.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Which makes it sound like a lift would make it much easier.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

we just put a set on my buddies 94 w/a th400 from the bottom with no issues, but we were on a lift. engine stayed bolted up. they sliped right in pretty easy.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by revtime
I have installed Hooker LTs in 2 different LT1 cars and did not have to jack the engine.
Put the rear tires on a pair of full size spares, make sure they are just old wheels and tires you don't care about. Now get the front end higher, both of the ones I did the front of the car was much higher. You have to get it higher so you can get the angle you need. We had issues with them hitting the floor when we tryed to tilt them to get the angle needed to slide up in there, once we got the front end high enough they went right in.
thats what i thought. I fiddled with them some more last night and it looks like they will slip right in if i can get the angle. I'll try to use my friends jack today.

Quick Reply: Hooker LT Install