LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Capala running like poo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capala running like poo

Ok I am having some problems with My high school sweet heart and need some help. Its a 93 caprice with 95 Impala everything... Lets just consider it a 95 pala. The other day it died on me and I am thinking it is fuel related. When I start it it will eventually start and sometimes idle or it will just die after a few sec. When I give it a little throttle it dies and if I let off it will go back to idleing. If I gradually give it a little gas at a time I can get it to rev up very high but its a slow progressive throttle movment
Heres What I tried so far:
Fuel Pump Relay ( didnt think this would be it but worth a shot)
Measured voltage at plug that connects fuel pump to main harness and got 12v
New Fuel Pump
New Filter ( yes I installed it the right direction)
New Tps
undid Fuel line @rail and filter and blew compressed air through line to ensure nothing was blocking it.
Checked lines to make sure I dont have s pinch or kink
I put a meter on the fuel rail to check pressure and I only show 10ish psi. I know it is supposed to be 40-50ish so I know fuel is a problem.

WHat else can cause low fuel Pressure? Only thing I havent done yet is Regulator and new wiring harness inside tank( I am told the harness is a weak link in that car) But how common is a regulator go out?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Changed out the fuel pump again tonight, also installed new harness inside tank. Turned key on and 12v at pump harness without pump connected. Plugged pump in and I get 5 volts????
Im guessing the pump is sucking lots of juice to start up? Put it all back together and fired it up and I got 10ish psi on fuel rail. Checked voltage at pump harness and it was at 2.9 volts. Car was running though, so how can it run with 2.9 volts and 10psi? Made a jumper to give pump 12 volts and car improved while idling but still had a mild back fire when reving. I noticed the Pass Key Fault light on on my dash so I am looking into this but It may have been a fluke thing for that to be on, I have it rigged with a resistor under the dash to bypass pass key, but resistor seems to be fine but I am only going by a hunch on the.

Please help with any Ideas guys Im running out of ideas
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Default update

Found that I may have a bad groung for fuel pump but heres a WTF... Removed the Pass Key resistor I have rigged under the dash and the car still runs? Anyone got an Idea?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Ok So I have found the problem, if anyone wants to know It turned out to be a loose ground in the trunk. On to the next problem....