LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Off road y-pipe for stock manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off road y-pipe for stock manifolds

I am running a rear mount turbo. It makes the most power with the stock exhaust manifolds (because of heat retention) but could be damaged if the cats came apart. I want to replace my cats with an off road y-pipe, but keep them in case I need to put them back on at some point.
Is there any company that makes a y-pipe for the 97 stock exhaust manifolds? I found them on Jegs for the 94-95 (single cat) but not for my car (dual cat).
I know a muffler shop in town that will make one for me, but I am not sure that the quality would match what I have seen on line for other applications.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out http://www.stainlessworks.net i believe they have one for dual cat!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Stainless Works is the only option for 2 cat cars. Random Tech makes one but its catted and also relatively expensive.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, guys. I went there and looked, and the pics are a bit confusing. They have a ss model, part # CA957DCOS, and an aluminumized steel unit, part # CA957DCOA. The second part looks a lot longer than the first. Is is just a trick of the camera? Both go down to a single pipe, which is what I am running.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhh a rear mount LT1 in Indy
any pics
im from connersville about 40 mins out of indy
Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

does it run good...i've always heard of the dreaded turbo lag on those sts kits...any truth?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

No, no, no rear mount. My sig says it's pretty much stock....

Well, O.K., perhaps there is a butt turbo on my car. It was very peppy before I decided to break the engine. 400 r.w.h.p. with a completely stock engine through an automatic. Forged 355 in the works.
AFA lag, if you wrap the exhaust, there is very little. And the fact that it takes up no additional space in the engine compartment is a huge, huge plus, at least to me.
If you p.m. me your email, I can parse through my pics and send you some. I need to post some on the web, but getting the new engine build organized is taking up too much spare time.
I am just outside Oaklandon, on the far northeast side of Indy. I sometimes go down to Greenwood on Saturday nights, go to the Midwest Members forum for some threads on Greenwood meets.