LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best cam that will run ok on a stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best cam that will run ok on a stock tune?

Friend of mine just picked uup a 94Z a4. Looking to do a cam but 1. is on a small budget, and 2. is going to make it his daily driver. So tryin to figure out what a good cam would be for something like that no tune for the time being, eventually will have full exhaust and a gear, but for now just something mild that will still run good. Current mods when doing the cam swap will be ORY a cat back and a LS1 LID conversion, maybe a 2600 stall. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none on stock tune
Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

At this point in time adding a cam would be a bad mod. A car should have at the mininum full exhaust, CAI, and a stall if automatic. A cam should not be done for someone thats on a real tight budget because many mistakes are bound to happen. Other than the cam you have to figure in mandatory valvesprings, locks, retainers, gaskets, pushrods, the list goes on and on and its close to a grand in the end just in parts and seeing your friend is being iffy on spending a couple hundred on a tune I assume hes not aware of all of that too. The stock tune really isnt good enough for boltons so no cam should be ran without a tune.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Tell him he'll get more power out of headers than he will out of a cam at this point.

He's trying to mod out of order.

And if he must, then I'd stick with the hotcam.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Well, he just bought the car, and it has a blown head gasket, so I'm assuming he wants to do a cam swap just because the heads will already be off. He is well aware its doing things backwards as I have reminded him too, but like I said heads will already be off so he wants to do something. Before he got this car he had a 00 TA that got totaled out and has read with those the pcm will learn to run ok on a mild cam and stock tune, so I take it this does not apply to the OBD 1 cars?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
At this point in time adding a cam would be a bad mod. A car should have at the mininum full exhaust, CAI, and a stall if automatic. A cam should not be done for someone thats on a real tight budget because many mistakes are bound to happen. Other than the cam you have to figure in mandatory valvesprings, locks, retainers, gaskets, pushrods, the list goes on and on and its close to a grand in the end just in parts and seeing your friend is being iffy on spending a couple hundred on a tune I assume hes not aware of all of that too. The stock tune really isnt good enough for boltons so no cam should be ran without a tune.
I agree no cam should be driven un-tuned, it would be tuned eventually, but something that would run "ok" for the time being.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

port and polish those heads...maybe port the intake manifold,and throw some longtubes on it
Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

I ran the Hotcam for a year on stock tune. wasn't too bad, would stall sometimes when coming to a stop but I learned to to just throw it in neutral. while braking. I DO NOT reccommend doing it at all but it can be done. I also had all the supporting mods(CAI and shorty headers) just no tune on a stock stall.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand wanting to do this while the motor is apart, long as he understands the substantial compromises he is making and what it will later need to be right I can see going about it like this.

I would just suggest a full pull of the engine so the bearings can be inspected, no sense in putting the cam in if the bearings were damaged by the coolant.

I would also consider staying smaller than the HOT. Keeping rpms down is one way to improve reliability and will drive better untuned for the meantime.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by daniel6718
none on stock tune
yup
Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
Well, he just bought the car, and it has a blown head gasket, so I'm assuming he wants to do a cam swap just because the heads will already be off. He is well aware its doing things backwards as I have reminded him too, but like I said heads will already be off so he wants to do something. Before he got this car he had a 00 TA that got totaled out and has read with those the pcm will learn to run ok on a mild cam and stock tune, so I take it this does not apply to the OBD 1 cars?
sounds to me like the perfect time to throw some longtubes in if the heads are going to be off and obviously the stock manifolds are coming off

throwing in a cam just because the heads will be off without headers and tune is from lack of words an awful idea

let me assure you some LT's on the LT1 does a lot to wake it up, just LT's, ORY, and a tune added 3-4 mph to my trap speed, which is much more than a small cam would add on a stock tune
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
I agree no cam should be driven un-tuned, it would be tuned eventually, but something that would run "ok" for the time being.
Some cams such as the Crane 227 or LPE 211/219 to name a couple would be better than others on the stock tune because they are on the smaller side of the spectrum in terms of camshafts. However, they will idle pretty smooth with a very slight lope, is your buddy looking for something that will be nice and choppy? If yes, they wont be to his liking really.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Some cams such as the Crane 227 or LPE 211/219 to name a couple would be better than others on the stock tune because they are on the smaller side of the spectrum in terms of camshafts. However, they will idle pretty smooth with a very slight lope, is your buddy looking for something that will be nice and choppy? If yes, they wont be to his liking really.
something with more of a smoother idle, maybe like a 114-115 lsa.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While such stupidity is common it is a BAD idea.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb90252.htm
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I vote for LTs as well. Would be much cheaper and more beneficial.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
While such stupidity is common it is a BAD idea.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb90252.htm
this in an excellent read
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Tell him to get LT's and a mail-order tune instead of a cam. Both would end up costing less than what all would be needed for a cam install and net him a lot better gains. You can get Pacesetter LT's for around $275-$300, and a mail-order tune for around $125-$150 from MadZ28 or PCM4Less.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Like Stealth said...the Crane 227 would be a good choice. Thats the one I ordered up for the same kind of set up
Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

i agree.. a gasket matched set of heads and intake, with some LTs would be far more benificial than just a cam... because believe me once you get in there with a cam .. .you need all gaskets ... prolly new push rods. springs retainers... then you should go head with the RRs.. and a new cam chain.. and the list goes on..
so just get the LTs and maybe a gasket matched heads and intake and the difference will be VERY noticable
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Default I was in the same position...

I was in the same situation last year, a blown head gasket, and I thought about going with the Hotcam since the top of the engine was already apart. The mechanic I took my car to said he'd do it and the car would run without a tune, but he SERIOUSLY didn't recommend it. Instead, he recommended just buttoning the engine back up and make sure it ran right with the head gasket fixed before doing any mods, and then going in the right proper order - intake, exhaust, suspension, etc. If I did decide later to do the cam, he'd give me a break on labor.