LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i got the new valve springs in and ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got the new valve springs in and ?

it sounds like i have 16 slinkys underneth the hood. i have a cc503, and the crane cam dual spring valve springs. why is it making so much noise ? they arent loose. i was going to put some 1.6rr and for that i was wondering which ones. i have the stock rockers on right now. and i was going to upgrade the push rods. and i was wondering what size should i get with the 1.6rr. would 1.6rr make the springs more quiet than they are now.

alot of questions and thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

come on guys i would like the help.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Few thoughts:

1) I'm not entirely sure what 16 slinkies would sound like under the hood, but that doesn't sound normal. How does she run? Any way you could pop off a valvecover and try to isolate where the noise is coming from? Make sure you don't have interference between the inner/underside of the rockers and the valvesprings.

2) Roller rockers will not reduce noise -- they actually increase noise (ticking/clacking), which is why many people install the LT4 knock module along with them -- to any gain or benefit is debatable.

3) It doesn't sound like you've done anything which would have altered valvetrain geometry (decked the block / milled the heads / etc), so factory 7.200" length pushrods will suffice. Unless you convert to non-self-aligning rockers + guideplates + 7/16" studs, a standard hardened pushrod will be fine -- no need for high dollar chromemoly stuff.

Still, you can check for proper valvetrain geometry by getting a pushrod length checker tool -- they're cheap (>$20), and we can explain how to use them.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

my old springs had almost no room when the valve was up. these springs have alot more room. is there a break in period with a cam and springs install? should the springs sound like the stock ones or is a lil added sound with the new ones. i drove it today and it i take a turn (90 deg) even at a low speed the car dies. is that because i dont have a tune? will 1.6rr fit under stock valve covers? and which ones to buy? other than the dying the car run good.

thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, few more thoughts:

1) Well, it's obviously not normal for the car to die. And I don't believe springs should make much noise by themselves -- it's usually the rest of the valvetrain clunking around that you hear.

2) The threads here are split up, so I don't know what you've done. Did you JUST install a cam, or were you just replacing valvesprings? Did the car die before? Any DTC's? The question now is whether the valve lash is maladjusted, or if you've got some other quirky problem. Best method to combat that would to readjust the lash and get some sort of datalogging software running, but the latter is sometimes easier said than done.

I'd personally try to run the car with the valvecovers off so you can take a look at things with the engine running. Oil will start to shoot out after a while, so try to be quick, or lay some cardboard in the engine bay (they make small clips for this purpose, but I don't think they're worth the money). Might want to plug the PCV system.

3) I can only speak from experience with the CC Pro-magnum roller rockers. They'll fit under the stock covers with some modification (cutting out the internal webbing/supports -- pretty easy).

Quick Reply: i got the new valve springs in and ?