LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

almost stumped: LT1 problems

Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost stumped: LT1 problems

Well here's the deal, I have a 94 Z28 LT4 H/C it's been running great up until my knock sensor failed and threw an SES, I replaced it and the SES went away but the car has the same problem. What happens is when I start the car up from a cold start it runs great for about 5 minutes then it will start misfiring and backfiring. It seems to be a heat related problem because it makes no difference if the computer is in open/closed loop. The longer I let the car cool off the longer it will run good till it starts misfiring and backfiring. Also I see that when watching the scanner it shows the knock retard increase up to 10 under load and knock count will exceed 10,000.

Here is a list of things that I have changed in attempt to repair with no result

O2's
Coil/ICM (not a known good, could be overheating coil)
Fuel Injectors (not a known good, possibly sticking when warmed up?)
Fuel Filter (pressure is between 45-55)
Fuel pressure regulator
Knock sensor (put a second brand new one in)
MSD cap and rotor
MAF
Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How do you know its not an open/closed loop issue? IIRC the car will not go into closed loop until the o2's reach the appropriate temperature. The longer you let it cool off, the longer it will take to reach temperature and switch to closed loop.
Have you tried leaving the o2's unplugged and driving it around?
Have you tried leaving the MAF unplugged and driving it around?
You could try installing the LT4 knock module.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I have tried driving with the O2's unplugged, no change
I have tried driving with the MAF unplugged, no change
And have have installed a new pcm with a new LT4 Knock module, no change
I know it isn't an open/closed loop issue because with the o2's unplugged it stays in open loop with no change in engine performance
:-/
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Then I guess you have to find the source of your knock.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I thought it was bad gas, so i drained the tank and put some fresh 93 in, but I can't remember if i got gas from the same place as before
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

A usual test is to run it with race gas (100+ octane). If the knock goes away, then the knock is real.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Do you have Datamaster? I STRONGLY suggest you invest in a cable download Datamaster (it comes with 20 free collections). If you collect data with it I am sure we will find the problem quickly, and you will buy it that's why he gives free trial.

From your description I would check EGR, for vacuum and exhaust leaks. It sounds like you are running LEAN. As you said could be injector, to eliminate that get a can of Seafoam add it to ~6 gallons of gas, put a 1/3 of the can in oil.

Go for a ~50 mile round trip interstate drive collecting with Datamaster. The cost of a cable was ~$50 and WELL worth it.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

I have eliminated the EGR with a block off plate, I have yet to test for vacuum but I will do that today. There are no exhaust leaks, I have hooker s/c's with copper gaskets and they are as tight as can be with no noise.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fmaznicki
I have eliminated the EGR with a block off plate, I have yet to test for vacuum but I will do that today. There are no exhaust leaks, I have hooker s/c's with copper gaskets and they are as tight as can be with no noise.
I had EGR block off plate and the gasket leaked caused my car to have split BLMs. Best bet is to get cable and car ECM data will tell you what is wrong.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

hey battleship ive been looking at the datamaster does the obd 2 cable fit the lt1
Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by djjab57
hey battleship ive been looking at the datamaster does the obd 2 cable fit the lt1
The LT1 vehicles can have both connection styles so I need to expand.

I had a 94 Caprice that was OBDI computer and had an OBDI connector (supposedly 94/95 have OBDI COULD have been an exception sold). A friend had a 94 Caprice that had an OBDII connector. So the answer is it depends.

It is best to look at your vehicle's port and make sure you have one style or the other OR I believe AKM cables offers a cable with both style connectors if I were buying a cable today I would buy the dual style.

That way you can collect/monitor most OBDI LT1 vehicles. I say most because 92 Corvette and 93 Camaro have a chip version that is OBDI but won't talk to Datamaster and Tunercats it uses Speed Density (No MAF).

Hope that helped. I recommend AKM cable he is a great guy and his product is HIGH quality.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Teching In

i got a suggestion that it may be the opti electronics heating up and going haywire what does everyone think of that?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

thanks ill check him out
Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fmaznicki
i got a suggestion that it may be the opti electronics heating up and going haywire what does everyone think of that?
Opti is always a possibility. I prefer to eliminate others first then once all else is verified suspect/replace opti.

I have had 2 fail right out of box rebuilt isn't always better. I have had them give no indication of error, hi lo resolution never got set. I have had some LT1s indicate bad hi/lo res and never have a bad opti.

Opti's are often blamed and often guilty just hate to jump to say it is the opti, since it is soo difficult to be certain it is the problem until you have checked and verified everything else is ok.

I use Delteq to avoid MOST opti problems but they still have failed thankfully mine has a lifetime warranty and easy to get to on my vehicles. I always seal the opti when I install and keep a close eye on leaks. An opti is a poor swimmer and if water gets close seems it wicks it in and dies.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAP sensor?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem, i am trying the ICM tonight i hope thats my problem

Cody

Search this Thread