LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knock

I went to look at this 95 Z28 on Sat. The car has been sitting for about 7 or 8 months, before the guy parked it he said that it had overheated (after having a water pump put on it) while he was teaching his daughter how to drive it. He parked it, let it cool, then when he restarted it, it had this awfull "Knock" in it as it does now. HE was told by someone else whom used a stethoscope on it that it was coming from the back of the driver side head If anybody knows what this could possibly is (besides a spun bearing) please....HELP.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whtknt
I went to look at this 95 Z28 on Sat. The car has been sitting for about 7 or 8 months, before the guy parked it he said that it had overheated (after having a water pump put on it) while he was teaching his daughter how to drive it. He parked it, let it cool, then when he restarted it, it had this awfull "Knock" in it as it does now. HE was told by someone else whom used a stethoscope on it that it was coming from the back of the driver side head If anybody knows what this could possibly is (besides a spun bearing) please....HELP.
So, I can only assume you went to look at it because you're considering
buying it? Or helping to diagnose it? What's the motivation? Not that that
determines what the issue is. Has there been any other troubleshooting
done besides the stethoscope check?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was looking at it to buy it, the car itself is in pretty good shape, the guy has dumped probably $4000 in it. But, he told us that he hasnt bothered movin it since it started havin this problem. (He bought a new toy instead) My dad and I drove it yesterday it has a misfire, and no power, so where pretty sure it atleast has a Blown headgasket, but my dad said its possible some of the coolant leaked onto the cam journals and that could be it.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was looking at it to buy it, the car itself is in pretty good shape, the guy has dumped probably $4000 in it. But, he told us that he hasnt bothered movin it since it started havin this problem. (He bought a new toy instead) My dad and I drove it yesterday it has a misfire, and no power, so where pretty sure it atleast has a Blown headgasket, but my dad said its possible some of the coolant leaked onto the cam journals and that could be it.
It also has no oil pressure at Idle. NONE. lol After it warms up.

Last edited by whtknt; 05-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, sounds like it'd be a good car to buy, so long as you're ready to completely rebuild the engine from the get-go. I think you're crazy for considering it, unless he knocks a few grand off the pricetag.

Coolant can't "just" leak into the cam bearings. If coolant made it to the cam bearings, it also made it to the lifters, crank and rod bearings. Coolant destroys the viscosity of the oil, and topped with the fact it has no idle oil pressure, it's highly possible that the bearings and bearing surfaces are all trashed. The knocking you hear is likely a spun bearing on one of the rear cylinders and/or some valvetrain issues. If he'll allow you to do so, I'd drain the oil and check for metal.

Not sure if that answers your question...
Old 05-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Teching In

The guy is asking 3000 for it right now, if I can talk him down enough I might be able to justify buying it. Does anybody now of any good rotating assemblies that are fairly cheap? (Just so that I can add that into my estimate for expenses) Depending on how the numbers come together, that will justify the likely hood for purchase.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would NOT pay 3000 for this car. You are going to have to put way more into the car than it is worth man. Guaranteed spun bearing and probably other issues.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I just offered them 12 for it today. I havent heard back from them yet but I doubt they'll take it. He's already turned down 1000 for it. But, this is what im really lookin for, right color, it had t-tops, new paint, 6-spd. But I cant afford to pay them anymore than 12 for it.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

just be careful man
Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you mean $1200 and not $12 heh. I'd say, if you knew the block was good (and hopefully the crank), $1500 would be the most. As for what's wrong, it could be a toss up on a few things. Sounds like a spun bearing though.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

your going to fast theres going to be more and more every week cause gas it crazy. some people cant afford it so there going to sell it. move on and find something better not worth it unless he takes the 1200 then u got to dump atleast 1000+ into . for that much 2000+ up to you or u can wait till u get 4000-6k and your money will be well spent. hows the body,interior,rearend,suspen ect.
i'd wait if i was you thats my opinion. cause everytime some1 rushs into things.......bomb .........there goes money
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

also your going to want to replace things while stuff is takin apart. plugs,opti,wires ect.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Launching!

hey i bought this car a month ago on ebay, i have already put 3000miles on it with no problems so just wait and hunt for a better deal
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...916&highlight=

Quick Reply: Engine Knock