LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running with no header gasket?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running with no header gasket?

So I've had this progressive problem with misfiring and ticking in my 94 formula.
I finally got a chance to look at my car today and discovered that all it was was a header bolt that was loose and had backed out about 1/4". Well I tightened it and it was still ticking really bad so I pulled all the bolts and the gasket, and the gasket was FUBAR'd around the center two cylinders where the leak was.

Problem is though I cant get my new felpro gasket in cause I cant get the header far enough away from the head(hooker LT's). So basically I put it back together with no gasket and to make a long story short it runs like a champ now.

I have a slight tick still and it hesitates a little tiny bit off idle but it is way improved. I'm going to try and tighten the bolts a little more and see what happens.
Anyone see anything wrong with running my car like this? Can I put some high temp rtv around the header to help seal it?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a header gasket though....
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is an old dirt track racers trick....the motor arent in the car for very long...so thats a temp fix ONLY. If GM didnt think that a gasket was NEEDED there, there wouldnt be one there.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crxhybrid85
Anyone see anything wrong with running my car like this? Can I put some high temp rtv around the header to help seal it?
Do not run without an exhaust gasket, you are on the road to disaster!

RTV is NOT a replacement for a gasket. RTV has many purposes and is a great sealent in its environment--this is NOT one of it's intended uses.

Fix it or you will soon have a bigger problem. A few reasons why I say you will have a bigger problems are:

What happens after you WOT, and let off the throttle? Can cold air flow between the header and head? Do you know what happens to an engine without an exhaust manifold?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I would definately fix that or demod and sell!

Search this Thread