LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

"Hard starting" need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hard starting" need some advice.

About the only real issue i'm having is this hard starting (cranks over fine), its not horrible, but agravateing at times, its alittle finicky when cold, but after i shut it down for a good 1/2 hour or so, it takes about 3 cranks untill it bust off, but it'll start alot faster when just sitting say 5 minutes, was just wondering somes things i could check, now the guy i bought it from said it did this when he bought it 6 yrs. ago with only 53000 & could never figure it out either & it had no mods (stock), but nothings changed even after all the bolt-ons over the years, now it has 158000, it runs very strong, no missing or anything, just this starting issue, it has fresh plugs, wires, it does still retain the stock fuel-pump & opti, but like i said, it hails azz & doesn't miss a lick, even at 58-5900 RPMs.

Could it be the crank senser?

Fully dressed 97 Z28 6sp. bolt-ons. 2.17 60ft. 13.79 @ 101.04 on street tires.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not the crank sensor, the cps has nothing to do with engine start-up or anything related to engine performance for that matter, its only purpose is for misfire detection. \

Sounds fuel related...

I would change your fuel filter and afterwards I would hook up a fuel pressure tester to see how you pressure is at:
KOEO
cranking
idle
WOT
This will indicate what condition your stock fuel pump is in.

If your pressure primes and bleeds off to zero quickly I'd suspect:
check ball of the fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
leaky injector.

After priming the pump, pull off the vacuum hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator and look and smell for fuel, if present, you may have a faulty diaphragm.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
It's not the crank sensor, the cps has nothing to do with engine start-up or anything related to engine performance for that matter, its only purpose is for misfire detection. \

Sounds fuel related...

I would change your fuel filter and afterwards I would hook up a fuel pressure tester to see how you pressure is at:
KOEO
cranking
idle
WOT
This will indicate what condition your stock fuel pump is in.

If your pressure primes and bleeds off to zero quickly I'd suspect:
check ball of the fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
leaky injector.

After priming the pump, pull off the vacuum hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator and look and smell for fuel, if present, you may have a faulty diaphragm.
Thanks, sounds like good info, the fuel filter is new, so i'll check the other stuff.

Quick Reply: "Hard starting" need some advice.