LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Custom y-pipes w/cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom y-pipes w/cats

anyone have any pics of their custom y-pipe with cats? I am ordering a set of Mac mids and I want to keep the car emmisions legal. I want to add cats to the mac y-pipe.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im thinking mac mids too and wondering how this will fit because i already have flowmaster that id like to keep.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

The Macs come with a Y-pipe that keep the Cats in the stock locations ( only way to be 100% leagal). They fit nice and are well made. We had one minor problem with the pass-side flange had a slight tweak that we had to fix, found this out after we had the stock exhaust off! and the pass header just bearing touched the brake booster. So too late to send back. But I've installed a few sets and this was the first time we had any issues. The Y-pipe bolts to the stock intermidiate pipe. You shouldn't need to do anything special.

Below is a link to an install.

http://www.97transam.com/headers.php

If you want something custom, Mufflex built my Y-pipe, LT headers into a 3" Y with cats into a 4" collector. Looks odd, but it does work great.

http://www.97transam.com/pampered-z/IMG_1134.jpg
Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I have heard that the mac cats are very restrictive. How do you feel about this? I thought about buying the cat-less version and installing two high-flo cats in the y-pipe side by side.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pampered-Z
If you want something custom, Mufflex built my Y-pipe, LT headers into a 3" Y with cats into a 4" collector. Looks odd, but it does work great.

http://www.97transam.com/pampered-z/IMG_1134.jpg
strongly recommend fabbing some heat shields to protect the fuel lines from the heat of the cat for the drivers side application. those suckers get hot.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RallyBoy
I have heard that the mac cats are very restrictive. How do you feel about this? I thought about buying the cat-less version and installing two high-flo cats in the y-pipe side by side.
I don't think cats are that bad, not from what I see people are picking up they can't be that bad. yes, a custom one using large tubes and race cats would probably give you a bit more, buy if you're going that far why use those headers?

I've worked on two cars, the car in the pics with those headers and a 847 cam and Loudmouth, compaerd to another 97 we did: Same cam nearly same convertors, but LE2 heads, long tunes, ORY ( after market exhaust, forget which one? ). 40-45 HP apart. So the Macs must be flowing pretty good.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
strongly recommend fabbing some heat shields to protect the fuel lines from the heat of the cat for the drivers side application. those suckers get hot.
I certainly did! I didn't like the look of it at all! The lines are wrapped individually with the heat reflective cloth. I went as far as to take it apart and re-sew it all back together so it's nice and tight, then fab'd an aluminum shield and also covered that with the self stick heat sheild as well.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

I run Mac Mid's with the Mac high-flow CAT and I don't have any problems getting through emissions. I also have the EGR and AIR removed

Quick Reply: Custom y-pipes w/cats