LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Whats going on here?

After getting my z28 running and driving it for the past few days, i have noticed that it appears to not be as fast as it used to be. (after LT install, Mods are in sig) if i floor it from a 5mph roll, the car wont break the tires loose, where as it used to spin them all the way through first gear. Car idles smooth and if you ask me, it runs good, it just bothers me that it doesnt seem to be as fast. I made my o2 extensions using some copper wire from a headlight harness. I bought some nice o2 extensions online yesterday, and i am hoping that this will fix the issue when i get the real things in there. Any ideas? Could it be my jerry rigged o2 extensions? Something to do with air/egr delete? Maybe i need a tune? Thanks guys
Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 AM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
After getting my z28 running and driving it for the past few days, i have noticed that it appears to not be as fast as it used to be. (after LT install, Mods are in sig) if i floor it from a 5mph roll, the car wont break the tires loose, where as it used to spin them all the way through first gear. Car idles smooth and if you ask me, it runs good, it just bothers me that it doesnt seem to be as fast. I made my o2 extensions using some copper wire from a headlight harness. I bought some nice o2 extensions online yesterday, and i am hoping that this will fix the issue when i get the real things in there. Any ideas? Could it be my jerry rigged o2 extensions? Something to do with air/egr delete? Maybe i need a tune? Thanks guys
Tune would help. The wires shouldnt be a problem unless you got it mixed up. If the wires arent right your computer would be throwing codes. My 96 blows em away in first gear no matter what (damn street tires) I think the tune will also pinpoint any troubles you might have as far as electronics go also.

Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Check firing order it's easy to flip plug wires. Makes a huge difference, 95 will not detect a misfire

Check EVERYTHING you have done. Headers and plug wires often like to meet and make for low power when the wire melts.

Edit

And the O2 extensions are a BAD idea.

Tuneup and ECM tune as mentioned is next on list once you verify nothing you did caused a problem

Good luck

Last edited by BattleShip; 05-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BattleShip
And the O2 extensions are a BAD idea.
I would hope you meant that the "homemade" extensions are a bad idea.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caldercay
I would hope you meant that the "homemade" extensions are a bad idea.
When someone says

Could it be my jerry rigged o2 extensions?

And then in my reply I say verify nothing you did caused a problem, and you aren't sure what I was referring to?

Edit: Never mind I just saw your avatar.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Edit: Never mind I just saw your avatar.
How cute - you're still struggling in high school I see.

The OP mentioned they used jerry-rigged O2 extensions AND that they have
ordered "commercial grade" (I assume) O2 extensions, so you could have
been referring to "O2 extensions in general".
Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

How cute - you're still struggling in high school I see.
Well remember if I were in HS, it would still be a more respected institute of learning than Dirt U.

The OP mentioned they used jerry-rigged O2 extensions AND that they have ordered "commercial grade" (I assume) O2 extensions, so you could have been referring to "O2 extensions in general".
Convoluted quibbling... I am just not interested in continuing it further.

Gee look at the time...back to the post, sorry for the interruption. Check your work, it is never good to rig wires, it almost always ends badly. Verify the plug wires and anything you changed. EASY to swap plug wires so check and recheck.

It will be a small goof, a burnt plug wire, miswired plugs (swapped) or poor connection on 'rigged' extensions.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

wheres that icon??? ahhh here it is
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since Battle came on the scene, more and more do I feel he's related to Capricemgr lol
------------

If you used butt connectors for your home-made extension, that could EASILY be the problem, but if you soldered it then there may be something else causing the problems. There have been times when an O2 is good, but after removing and installing again, goes bad, so that might be what happened to you. If your car has been sitting awhile, say over the winter, it could easily be bad gas not letting you have the power you used to.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't shorties more for low-end torque and with LT's, you sacrifice a little low-end for more topend? I'm not really sure if that's true, but that small difference could be why your car isn't breaking the tires loose from a 5mph roll. Plus, it could all be in your head that it feels slower, because you were expecting more of a gain from the LT's.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
Since Battle came on the scene, more and more do I feel he's related to Capricemgr lol
Like Capricemgr I will point out a mistake. I will not let someone say "changing the rod length impacts the displacement."

Would you prefer statements be left alone when they are wrong? The value of a board is it's accuracy, and some on this site struggle with accuracy.

EDIT: I FAILED to be clear T A&M was probably trying to clarify my answer. I should have been more specific. An answer that is not clear is NOT right.

So my bad on assuming T A&M had other than noble goals. If I was wrong on his intent I apologize. CLEAR answers should always be all our goals.

Last edited by BattleShip; 05-25-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
Aren't shorties more for low-end torque and with LT's, you sacrifice a little low-end for more topend? I'm not really sure if that's true, but that small difference could be why your car isn't breaking the tires loose from a 5mph roll. Plus, it could all be in your head that it feels slower, because you were expecting more of a gain from the LT's.
that may be true but i know that a STOCK 95z28 should roast the tires in first so im pretty sure a full exhaust z28 should atleast do the same. I'll have to check all this stuff when i get home. I hope its something simple. Thanks guys
Old 05-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

On second thought T A&M probably did try to clarify my answer, and that resulted in my response being clearer. His critique WILL help others.

Clear answers ARE important and part of being correct! My reply lacked clarity!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Capricemgr I will point out a mistake. I will not let someone say "changing the rod length impacts the displacement."

Would you prefer statements be left alone when they are wrong? The value of a board is it's accuracy, and some on this site struggle with accuracy.
There is correcting someone, and there is being a total asshat while correcting someone. Cap and you fit into the latter. But you are right, accuracy is key, and we want people to associate Accurate Info/Help and LS1Tech. We DON'T want LS1Tech and Jerks though. See where I'm going with this? You CAN be nice and still correct people, it's quite a simple task!

Sorry for the HiJack!

Quick Reply: Whats going on here?