LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Someone Killed My T/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone Killed My T/A

Ok over the weekend someone put 4 little screw driver bits into my intake manifold, damaging the 2 back pistons and cracking both heads, ok we have bought the heads, but it chewed the top of the one piston up pretty bad, it left impression of the bit all over it, well about 7 impressions, does any one know if this piston will be ok or will I have to replace it, also what about the rings and the rod bearings? Thanks for any help given.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Dude that sucks!!!

Go kill people!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened to my dads 4 cylinder dirt track car years ago. he had to get a new head and replaced all the damaged pistons.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thath sucks! I'd be on a mission to kill! How did they put it inside your intake manifold? Was the car broken into or did they just pop the hood, take off the elbow, and throw them in? Sorry I'm no help but this story needs more info.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porksoda
Thath sucks! I'd be on a mission to kill! How did they put it inside your intake manifold? Was the car broken into or did they just pop the hood, take off the elbow, and throw them in? Sorry I'm no help but this story needs more info.
Yes they just popped the hood and took the elbow off and threw them in, I thought it was a blowed head gasket at first but when I removed the head is when I found one of the bits stuck in the head itself. And then futher investigating I found the other bits on the other side. After I get this fixed I'm sleeping in the car with my gun.
But would surface damage effect the way it runs??
Thanks

Last edited by snk-huntr; 05-25-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what some jackasses........damnit i would rape and behead them if i found out who they were.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am so sorry to hear that some punk would play that way I recomment 12 gauge tripple ot buck shot, just aim away from anything you care about. and make the gauge a pump all know that sound of a gauge being loaded, it is a sound that is unique, some run others **** them self, eather way you will get a laugh But I would recommend that you replace all dammaged pistons.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Would your insurance company be able to do anything about it? I would think it would fall under the category of a break-in.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

man thats realy fucked up
Old 05-24-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know it is!!
If only I knew who!!

Last edited by snk-huntr; 05-25-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snk-huntr
Yeah I know it is!!
If only I knew who!!
You must of pissed someone off?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by halucinator
You must of pissed someone off?
Yea, the general ricer crowd!

But joking aside, that sucks I hope that never happens to me. I've had vandalism to my vehicles before, but nothing that bad. Once was shaving cream in a balloon, but jokes on them since I got home like 5mins after it happened (at night) and just took the hose to my truck and washed it off. Second was the same truck and they busted my pass window out. Who knows if they were planning on stealing something or what, but nothing was gone, not even my Oakley's that were in a sunglass holder on the sun visor. Nothing happened to my 91, and so far nothing to my 93, but sitting outside worries me

It seems like more and more kids are turning into the 'punk' crowd who like imports and have big egos. If you blemish that ego, they'll becoming little ********.

There's always the brighter side, assuming you aren't dirt poor like me. When I broke my rear end, I wasn't that mad, but more happy. I knew I then was going to be able to get a new rear, and I wanted a 99+ rear with Torsen posi anyways and figured 3.42s would be a nice upgrade since it came in M6s. So, that's now what I have For you, hopefully it'll mean an upgraded motor. Small or big, an upgrade is an upgrade!

While it sounds lame, it might be time for locking "hood pins" (oddly there are no pins, just a lock) so they can't simply pop it with some brute force.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, if i ever find out who it was, they WILL pay!! But anger aside, the motor is still in the car, the heads are off, and the very back passenger side piston is pretty chipped up, but only on top. The firewalls look fine. Can i run the car with just a few chips on the piston? Could it have damaged the rings or rod bearings? If not and the piston is runnable i can just throw the heads on, change the oil, and be on my way. The piston really isnt that chipped up that bad but just alot of inprints of the screwdriver bits, about as deep as tab on a pop can.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, if i ever find out who it was, they WILL pay!! But anger aside, the motor is still in the car, the heads are off, and the very back passenger side piston is pretty chipped up, but only on top. The firewalls look fine. Can i run the car with just a few chips on the piston? Could it have damaged the rings or rod bearings? If not and the piston is runnable i can just throw the heads on, change the oil, and be on my way. The piston really isnt that chipped up that bad but just alot of inprints of the screwdriver bits, about as deep as tab on a pop can.
I run my Eagle talon OEM pistons after my timing belt came apart and kissed the valves to the pistons. Just ground down a little bit to avoid hotspots and it works ok. If you are serious though, you should just do a full blown rebuild with all forged internals.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics would help to help judge to damage. Most of the time, debris in the engine results in needing a rebuild.

And by "firewalls" you mean cylinder walls? Firewall is what is between the engine bay and the passenger compartment
Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

something just doesnt add up..people just dont randomly put screwdriver bits in an engine...how the heck did they access the hood latch from the interior....do you know anyone that is really pissed off at you... and they must know you rather well seeing as how they messed with your ride....im a police officer so this just sounds a lil fishy to me...are there any more details you can give us....if it was truly random then thats one hell of a prank
Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
something just doesnt add up..people just dont randomly put screwdriver bits in an engine...how the heck did they access the hood latch from the interior....do you know anyone that is really pissed off at you... and they must know you rather well seeing as how they messed with your ride....im a police officer so this just sounds a lil fishy to me...are there any more details you can give us....if it was truly random then thats one hell of a prank
We own some rental property next to us, and we have had to evict a few people and some have moved close by. We live out in the country so i dont lock my car, or should i say didnt. So in the landlord buisness we have gained a few enemies, but none have ever went this far. I'm not sure if it was an X Tenant or Random. Anyways this wasn't about the crime, this was about how to fix the damage to the engine. PERIOD. The motor was just rebuilt last year. I just want to know if a little damage to the top of one piston can be left the way it is?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
Pics would help to help judge to damage. Most of the time, debris in the engine results in needing a rebuild.

And by "firewalls" you mean cylinder walls? Firewall is what is between the engine bay and the passenger compartment
Why the Hell did i say firewalls. I'm so stressed out and pissed off.....Anyways i'll try to post some pics tommorow, if i can borrow a digital camera from someone.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

That realy sucks! almost the same thing happened to me exept it was a screw that I dropped without knowing and it ended up destroying the piston hence my 383 that's in the car now. I think the answer your looking for is up to you, do you realy want to risk it by puting it back together that way and have the engine fail to only pull it apart again.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some up close pics of the piston that is damaged.

Quick Reply: Someone Killed My T/A