LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'93 Tuning Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '93 Tuning Options

Ok, I have a '93 Z28 that I can't decide yet if I want to keep and do stuff to or sell. One big worry of mine is the tuning of it. I really don't know if it's a huge pain to tune them or not. What options do I have for that? I know PCMForLess does tunes by mail, right? How good can those tunes actually be? What other options are there that could be better if that one isn't that great?

Thanks a lot. This is probably the biggest issue for me with keep the car or not, so it will help me make the decision a lot if there either are or aren't good tuning options.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well 93s use a Chip. So it's pretty easy in a sense and cheaper than a PCM. You'd need a PROM burner and software to burn it, but you can use free software (TunerPro is what I use and like it) to make the tunes. Then you just need a $30 adapter card and you can plug in new PROMs left and right. You only would need 1 PROM since they are reflashable.

However, the flip side is it helps to have data logging abilities, and with a PCM setup you'll already have a ALDL cable and software (typically). Don't know what you use to log ECMs, haven't looked into it.

Moates.net has all the hardware, but you can probably find the burner stuff on eBay if anyone here knows what you'd need as far as that goes.

I just tuned my own file and found someone who could burn it, only cost me postage and the cost for the PROMs (I had 2 made).

I can give you the 2 files to start with for your stock setup (assuming it's an A4, but I can find the M6 fairly easily I assume), but you can also find a ton of stuff (for any GM ECM vehicle) here http://www.diy-efi.org/ (Third link on that page is what I use)
Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

That sounds like a good option to try, but the only problem is I have no experience whatsoever with tuning. I would assume that wouldn't be good, but I could be wrong. lol
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Formula 350 is on the money. Also check out speeddensity.org. This site has given me lots of help for my 93.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
That sounds like a good option to try, but the only problem is I have no experience whatsoever with tuning. I would assume that wouldn't be good, but I could be wrong. lol
I didn't have experience with tuning my LT1 (although I've been tuning my
'Busa for some time now) until recently. I went with TunerCat software and
a cable from ALDLCable.com. If you feel at ease with using a computer (and
preferably a laptop), then tuning should be a cinch.

The trick, really, to tuning (most especially in the beginning) is to change one
parameter at a time, test the results, then move on to the next parameter. If
you change multiple parameters in a single re-flash, and something goes rwong
with the tune, you'll not know which parameter is goofed.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also had ZERO experience with tuning. My first was my TPI car, I just read online and when I came across a table I didn't understand, I would google it. After I figured out what it meant, I would then go about changing it a bit. Basically what I did with both cars, which since they have almost identical tables (being both ECM cars is what leads to that) I just changed essentially the same things. The main thing I changed was the Volumetric Efficiency tables. heh I actually took Desktop Dyno, loaded in all the info for the TPI/LT1 and then checked what it outputted for the VE%, then I looked at the stock tune and adjusted accordingly. What I like about TunerPro is that you can "smooth" a table out, so there's less of "steps" and more of a nice slope between numbers. I also upped the VE% by a couple due to having aftermarket exhaust, intake and other free mods. I don't remember EVERYTHING I changed since it was over a year ago, and very few, but between the VE and the other small items (my 24# injectors (25.5# on GM PSI)) I noticed quite a change in my car when putting in the new chip. So, honestly, I'd REALLY be interested in what someone like PCM For Less of MadZ28 could do!

It really is fun to do, especially if you have an interest in computers like myself, which also made doing it easier. While I might not have made a significant impact in the tune, I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished. And while it wouldn't be a legit thing to do, I'd love to see a tune from the big guys and see what all I missed, hell even a half assed one lol
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 93 T/A converted to massair.....it was not cheap!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I had my 93 T/A converted to massair.....it was not cheap!
Why on earth would you do that o_0 If I for some reason wanted MAF, I'd just buy a MAF car >_>
Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

When I bought the car I did not know 93s had speed density or I would have bought a 94 + to get mass air. I had already put a ton of money in the car, so selling it was not an option.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't want a MAF setup Just another expensive sensor to go bad that really isn't needed. After all, people convert their MAF cars to SD, so there must be some reason behind doing that

To add to the topic, I found some nice cheap PROM burners on eBay. They're not commercial with an enclosure and stuff, but for $18, it's a helluva deal and I've been contemplating on getting one. They'll burn the EEPROMs as well, and I believe it'll erase it too.

Here's the search I used and the ones you're looking for are the bare PCBs with the blue sockets. The price will give it away too. It's like $12 shipping and $18 BIN for the item. http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1
Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Why on earth would you do that o_0 If I for some reason wanted MAF, I'd just buy a MAF car >_>
I don't blame him, a bunch of local shops here in Houston did similar with many 93s back in the 90s. As archaic as LT1 tunning is, for tunning on the fly the 94+ stuff sure as hell beats burning chips far as convience goes.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't know what thread I posted it in, but you can make a 93 basically work the same as a PCM style with a few different pieces of hardware and be able to flash on the fly.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Launching!

for tunning on the fly the 94+ stuff sure as hell beats burning chips far as convience goes.
All you need to get to tune 93's on the fly is the AutoProm or the ostrich from Moates. I use the AutoProm on my 93 and you can tune and datalog simultaneously using TunerPro RT. I have the box mounted in the car so I just run off of it instead of burning chips, makes it easier. Moates' stuff is top notch.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rkinney
All you need to get to tune 93's on the fly is the AutoProm or the ostrich from Moates. I use the AutoProm on my 93 and you can tune and datalog simultaneously using TunerPro RT. I have the box mounted in the car so I just run off of it instead of burning chips, makes it easier. Moates' stuff is top notch.
That's basically all the stuff I was talking about.

You don't run the signal booster?

Quick Reply: '93 Tuning Options