LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how hard to change opti

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how hard to change opti

well my opti went like 2 days ago an im changing it out tomarrow an i just want some info on how to change it an what to be aware of wen swapping it
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

You will have to take off the air intake, water pump, and the radiator. Make sure you don't get any coolant on the new one, use plenty of rags.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
You will have to take off the air intake, water pump, and the radiator. Make sure you don't get any coolant on the new one, use plenty of rags.
No need to remove the radiator, the dual electric fans maybe.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=swap+opti

pictures don't work, but its written well.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chavez885
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=swap+opti

pictures don't work, but its written well.

Yeah i cleared my photobucket album without thinking twice.. when i do the opti on my friends impala ill take thorough pictures
Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

First of all, are you sure it's your opti? Do a search and do some research regarding symptoms of opti failure.

If you're sure it's your opti, it's not hard, actually the hardest part is removing the air pump/emissions stuff. You have to take off the water pump and if you know it's been a while since it's been replaced, you may want to take care of that too. Be careful and note which bolts come out of which holes for the water pump, they're not all the same length. Since you have to drain the radiator, now would also be the time to replace any hoses that look bad. You will need a wheel puller to take off the damper - rent it from the auto parts store. I did not have to take out the radiator, only the fans. I'd say three hours tops, about two for us "experts" who had to do it more than once.

Make sure you get a true AC/Delco opti. Don't get the eBay knockoffs, even if they say they are GM parts.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, that you only have to pull off the outer part of the crankshaft pulley by removing the 3 bolts, not the center hub. That is, if you have the OE pulley on there, and not an aftermarket piece, such as Fluidampr, TCI, etc...
Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
First of all, are you sure it's your opti? Do a search and do some research regarding symptoms of opti failure.

If you're sure it's your opti, it's not hard, actually the hardest part is removing the air pump/emissions stuff. You have to take off the water pump and if you know it's been a while since it's been replaced, you may want to take care of that too. Be careful and note which bolts come out of which holes for the water pump, they're not all the same length. Since you have to drain the radiator, now would also be the time to replace any hoses that look bad. You will need a wheel puller to take off the damper - rent it from the auto parts store. I did not have to take out the radiator, only the fans. I'd say three hours tops, about two for us "experts" who had to do it more than once.

Make sure you get a true AC/Delco opti. Don't get the eBay knockoffs, even if they say they are GM parts.
yea i did a spark test an i have no spark, an i was thinking my opti was goin bad because the car felt like it had no *****, it felt like it wasnt performaning like it should and i did some research an they said opti is one of the reasons an like a week later the opti went bad, an i have new waterpump so i dont need to change that an just all bout my hoses have been changed out too so i should be ready to go, so i assuming that if i mark the opti for the timing an the timing is off i have to put everything back on an check the timing an take everything back off to adjust it?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lil_lew52
yea i did a spark test an i have no spark, an i was thinking my opti was goin bad because the car felt like it had no *****, it felt like it wasnt performaning like it should and i did some research an they said opti is one of the reasons an like a week later the opti went bad, an i have new waterpump so i dont need to change that an just all bout my hoses have been changed out too so i should be ready to go, so i assuming that if i mark the opti for the timing an the timing is off i have to put everything back on an check the timing an take everything back off to adjust it?
What does timing have to do with changing the opti?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like its your opti its not hard to change should take like 4 hours max if you have the right tools.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing, as far as I know.....The pin on the camshaft engages the corresponding recess on the back of the opti drive. The opti housing bolts to the front of the timing cover. that's it.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

A quick way to get it started is to get the front of the car in the air, and unplug the petcock screw in the bottom Passengers side of the rad to get coolant draining. While it's draining, get the air intake, coil, AIR stuff and WP off. This is a good way to go, as you're making efficient use of time.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

well i thought since the opti is the distributator like on my mustang wen changing the distrib. u have to adjust it just right to get the timing of the car just right or the car would run like **** until it was adjusted just right, so its diff with the opti u just have to put on place an bolt on an not worring bout marking it so it dont throw the timing off the car off an make it run like ****? or is that was the computer is for.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

well i thought since the opti is the distributator like on my mustang wen changing the distrib. u have to adjust it just right to get the timing of the car just right or the car would run like **** until it was adjusted just right, so its diff with the opti u just have to put on place an bolt on an not worring bout marking it so it dont throw the timing off the car off an make it run like ****? or is that was the computer is for.
Yea the opti change won't affect your timing, just put the opti on the same way you took it off.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Timing itself with the Timing Gears and Chain has nothing to do with the Opti, put the Cam Pin in the wrong slot on the Opti, you will see how your Engine will run screwy...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:19 AM
sbs
On The Tree

well my opti went like 2 days ago an im changing it out tomarrow an i just want some info on how to change it an what to be aware of wen swapping it
"What kind of car?" would be a good place to start...

yea i did a spark test an i have no spark, an i was thinking my opti was goin bad because the car felt like it had no *****, it felt like it wasnt performaning like it should and i did some research an they said opti is one of the reasons an like a week later the opti went bad...

Don't see anything there that identifies the opti as the cause of your no spark condition.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sbs
"What kind of car?" would be a good place to start...

Don't see anything there that identifies the opti as the cause of your no spark condition.
I asked the same thing in the other thread then forgot that I posted till I saw this one. He says he replaced the icm and bought the opti assuming it was bad.

I believe the original symptoms were, no start, backfiring out the intake when he tried. Then in another post he indicates that the engine will start(?) after a while.

Quick Reply: how hard to change opti