LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!

This stupid LT1 has been giving me a heck of a time. I really just want to finish pulling the engine (out the top) and sell the darn thing at this point. The way the LT1 was shoehorned into the engine bay and all the components run along the block must make this one of the worst engineered pieces of poop ever. Even if I put a new engine in, I would never want to work on it again. But back the point:

I absolutely cannot finish separating the 6-speed from the engine. I've disconnected all the stuff connecting to the clutch, and I can rotate the engine each way about 90 degrees. I've even pulled the oil pan and started pulling rod and cap bolts to try and remove the engine and leave the crank in so I can see what the heck is going on (don't ask why...just tired of yanking and getting nowhere). I've had several people look at it and say the darn thing should just pop out...but it won't.

HELP!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

did you forget to remove the bolts holding the flywheel
to the pressure plate ???
Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

do you have the slave cylinder removed? the lt1 slave pulls out instead of pushes in on the pressure plate to enable the clutch to slip and if you don't have it off to get the release bearing off then you won't be able to seperate the motor and tranny.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow95z
do you have the slave cylinder removed? the lt1 slave pulls out instead of pushes in on the pressure plate to enable the clutch to slip and if you don't have it off to get the release bearing off then you won't be able to seperate the motor and tranny.
Uhm. I think so. Is that the cable that connects on the drivers side? I completely disconnected that. I think most of my problem is that the stupid instructions I have are incomplete.

Can you actually remove the bolts that connect the pressure plate to the flywheel while it is assembled? I definitely didn't see that in any of the instructions.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

you have to actually unbolt the slave and then reach in and take throw out bearing and shift fork aloose to get the motor to pull away from the tranny.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have mad skillz you can remove the pp bolts with trans on. if you have the slave disconnected and the fork off the TO bearing (assuming you have all the bolts out too ) you can just pry the tranny off. you can also pull the trans separate from the bellhousing. use the slots for the prybar too.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

As stated above, pull the fork off the TO bearing. Also, remove the inspection plate (or dust cover) from the tranny, if you haven't done so already.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Launching!

I just did this two days ago. Like they say, you must remove slave cylinder from the trans and pull the fork off of the throwout bearing. Pull it straight away from the centerline of the trans. I have it all apart on the garage floor if you need any pics, just ask.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tonskiguy
I just did this two days ago. Like they say, you must remove slave cylinder from the trans and pull the fork off of the throwout bearing. Pull it straight away from the centerline of the trans. I have it all apart on the garage floor if you need any pics, just ask.
Yes, please! I'm trying to picture what I need to move and where it is...I'm surprised it didn't just break by now.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

the slave is on the drivers side bottom corner(maybe more towards centerline of the tranny). it is attatched with two bolts or nuts(i can't remember for sure). after removal of the slave, then with flashlight look in the bellhousing and locate the release brg. on the fork( do this through the inspection plate on the bellhousing) and then you should be able to figure out how to remove the fork from the brg. and the seperate the motor and tranny. if you have every thing else loose it should just fall apart when you tug on it.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Launching!

I'm going to get some photos now, give me 10 minutes or so
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Launching!

The first pic is the slave cylinder.
The second one is the trans, you can see where the slave was removed from. the lower left front corner.
The next is a close up that shows what you'll see of the fork.
The fourth pic shwos the fork pulled out as required to remove the trans.
The last one shows the fork on the inside of the bell housing.
I can take more pics if needed, just let me know what you need.
Attached Thumbnails Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!-img_1724.jpg   Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!-img_1723.jpg   Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!-img_1722.jpg   Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!-img_1721.jpg   Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!-img_1719.jpg  

Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

You have to pull the TO bearing fork out, you pull it towards the drivers side of the car, and it comes out about 2 inches, than you can remove the trans, trust me, i know, i spent about 2 hours before i figured it out.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolter
You pulled the oil pan, and rod caps because you feel this will help what? You want to pull the crank with engine in car? Believe me your problem is not "this stupid LT1".

When I first read this a couple of days ago, I was thinking, "Yep, here's your sign....."

I still get a chuckle out of it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+100,000 on the clutch fork LOL!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL I forgot to pull my fork off the throwout this last time pulling the tranny, and could not get the tranny to move back in to remove.(because the main shaft no longer aligned with the rest I guess)

I wound up slipping a wrench in between the tranny and belhousing (there was a small space) and removing the bolt that retains the fork itself.

Once things get in a bind, it can be hard to pull that fork off. Never again will I forget.

Quick Reply: Still can't separate LT1 from transmission!