LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues

So just replaced my opti, found out when I had replaced my cap and rotor a year or so ago that I had just forgotten to add the o-rings on the shaft.

Well I go take the car on a run around the block and it starts to overheat quick so I pull over before it hits the red and take it home right away. I check it over and take it for another run and it ran fine. I then find that my waterpump has a bit of oil coming from the small hole at the bottom usually meaning its bad. I also find some red fluid on a couple hoses near the radiator flush valve on the bottom. I later realize I forgot to bleed the system by turning the screw which I did a short bit later. This was also yesterday.

I drove my car today and the temperature gauge stayed at 180. So I checked after work and found some oil seemed to have still been coming down from the waterpump and the red fluid still there.

Any suggestions? Wouldnt my car be running hot if the waterpump was going out?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like the radiator has an internal leak with tranny fluid.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

I'm really hoping its a hose to the tranny cooler that needs to be tighten or something. I will find out tomorrow night or friday morning when I get time to work on a couple things.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well uh... oil doesn't come out of the weep hole, coolant does (from my knowledge at least). The oil could just simply be from the front intake gasket, as it and the back are prone to leaking (back more-so due to the damn EGR being hot).

Trans fluid could simply mean things need to be tightened, at the radiator or hose clamps somewhere.

If you forgot something on the Rad cap, might as well buy a new one, or find an o-ring big enough.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Well found the prob or at least what probably was. Apparently in putting everything back together I forgot to loosen the second screw or main one to bleed the air from the hose to the waterpump. So as soon as I starting taking things apart I realized this. Well I will see how the new pump works and make sure to bleed both screws this time.

I went ahead and tightened the screws to the hose claps and whatever seemed like it needed it, so hopefully that takes care of that.

Quick Reply: issues