LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wont start after winter storage... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start after winter storage... HELP!

So i stored my TA in a garage for the winter. I took the battery out and parked it. I remember last time i think i loosened one of the coil wires so that if someone did try to start it with a battery it wouldnt go anywhere. Again i think it was last time but it could have been this past winter.

Anyways the car will turn over all day long without a problem (or until the battery dies). When I press on the fuel line shrader valve there is fuel pressure and it sprays out a good bit. I checked each and every fuse and they are all fine. I unplugged each and every electrical connection i could get my hands on in the engine compartment. I checked each spark plug wire to make sure they were on the plugs all the way and tightly pressed into the opti...

So heres what i conclude:
-Battery is fine
-Fuses are fine
-Car has fuel pressure

So i figure my problem is in the ignition or some electrical fitting i couldnt get my hands on (but if i cant reach it now i couldn't when i stored it). So what are the possibilities? The opti is pretty new and worked fine in December. The coil is still the OEM. I have newer MSD wires and NGK plugs.

Where the hell is my problem? For the love of god i just want to hear it get some spark and fire up... it just turn and turns and turns and wont fire
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you getting spark? just take the #1 off and have someone crank it. see if youve got spark. the fuel just might be completely wasted. i dont live in an area where we store cars for the winter (sounds f-ing rediculous to me---move to cali ) but i know gasoline has a short shelf life.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by noriceinside
are you getting spark? just take the #1 off and have someone crank it. see if youve got spark. the fuel just might be completely wasted. i dont live in an area where we store cars for the winter (sounds f-ing rediculous to me---move to cali ) but i know gasoline has a short shelf life.

Gasoline's shelf life isn't that short. I wouldn't rule out bad fuel though. I guess he could drain out the old fuel and put in some fresh fuel. Did you put any type of fuel preservative in the tank before storage?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Teching In

no fuel preserves i know... i know lol. It was only stored for 5 months. As for Cali, i just moved back to michigan from Arizona. Lived there 4 years and my car was in storage every winter because i never brought it down with me. I have an R1 for AZ
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of cranking the engine, try cycling the ignition on and off 10 ten times.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

i have cycled it... i cant imagine cycling it would do anything for the ignition though. Im getting plenty of fuel right now. I have a walboro 255 and its nice and loud haha
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white phoenix
i have cycled it... i cant imagine cycling it would do anything for the ignition though. Im getting plenty of fuel right now. I have a walboro 255 and its nice and loud haha
My suggestion didn't directly have anything to do with the ignition. I was thinking more along the lines of a possible ECM issue.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

ah i see what your saying. As for the ECM its only one year old lol. The old one was fine but when i was having problems with the car my dad insisted it get replaced because the old one had different codes disabled like the AIR. He payed so i got a free new one, so im thinking that is fine. Im just waiting on a buddy to help me trace the ignition with a DMM and check to see where the power is stoping...

Ill try the plug number one tomorrow night so it will be easy to see
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Also make sure your getting fire at the coil and at the wires, lastly check the ICM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porksoda
Also make sure your getting fire at the coil and at the wires, lastly check the ICM.
Exactly what I was going to say...check the ICM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Teching In

is the ICM the plate behind the coil? Also whats the safest best way to check for spark at the coil?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Yes that is it. The coil is actually bolted to it too. As for checking them you can take both of them to a parts store and they can test them for free. Or the way I did it (may not be the best way) I just took off the coil wire and had someone crank it as I watched the spark from the coil jump around!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Teching In

yea the spark from the coil would hurt thats why i dont want to try. Getting 220v from a house was enough for me...
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

You don't have to touch it just pull the wire off and have someone crank it and see if it sparks. It's not like it will shoot out at you or anything. BTW 220 from a house will freeze you in your spot! Not fun.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by porksoda
BTW 220 from a house will freeze you in your spot! Not fun.
yea one summer i worked a construction job when i was in school. We did mostly remodeling and we were at a place with a drop ceiling. Well i climbed up and put my hand in there trying to get something down. Well i grabed a uncovered intersection of 220. I was frozen on the ladder. The guy working with he had to pull me off the ladder and i just fell on the ground. It was a bit of a jolt.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

so i checked and im not getting any spark from the coil. I replaced the coil and the module and still nothing. Turns over until the cows come home. I depress the shrader valve on the fuel line and there is pressure everytime (walboro 255). So i have fuel and i have power... but no spark?

I dont want to just go around the car replacing every single sensor... im thinkin maybe the crank position sensor? Thats the pickup for the coil right? If that went bad over the winter would it cause this problem?

I also went through all the electrical connections and sprayed them with electrical cleaner... still nothing...

I just sit there trying **** and hoping that one time it turns over ill hear the bitch fire up.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Could it possibly be the VATS system? i used both keys i have and still nothing. If it was the vats would it even turn over?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Launching!

have you scanned for any codes???
Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Teching In

will it register codes if it wont start? The check engine light is on when i turn the ignition on but i thought that was normal till the car actually started up.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

to have the SES light on during startup is normal, however you may have codes stored as a result of a part failure, issue, etc... I'd recommend scanning it, and see what you come up with. If you don't have datalogging software, you can buy a data cable at www.aldlcable.com and download a free trial version of Datamaster TT for your evaluation purposes. It's a worth-while investment.

Quick Reply: Wont start after winter storage... HELP!