LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

egr/air pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr/air pump removal

Im removing the egr and air and going with LT's and had a question about what to do with the 2 vacuum lines associated with the egr. Codes have already been deleted and I wanna clean up the engine bay a lil. I've already searched this but didnt find anything helpful. If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated. Work being done to a 96 z28.

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One line comes out of the solenoid and plugs onto the EGR valve, the other line plugs onto the intake manifold. Just take off the solenoid along with the attached lines and put a vaccum cap on the nipple of the intake manifold where the other line was. I believe it is 3/8." And of course a block off plate will go where the EGR valve was.
Attached Thumbnails egr/air pump removal-egr.jpg  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

hate to hijack but what year is your car? Mine is a 95 and i deleted air and egr and left the solenoid on becuase i was told that if i did it wouldn't throw a CEL.

What do i need to plug up if i leave the solenoid on? Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Would a vaccum cap on the egr valve be the same as a block off plate? Cause thats what I did and my car starts up and runs fine.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I capped my EGR (even though I'm SURE it didn't need to be) and intake but left the solenoid plugged in since when I unplugged it, it threw a code immediately. I even 'removed' everything AIR and EGR related and it still tossed a code for the EGR Went away when I plugged it back in and restarted.

AIR, you just unplug it and remove all the plumbing. No codes get thrown, and leave the fuse in for it.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pooogy
Would a vaccum cap on the egr valve be the same as a block off plate? Cause thats what I did and my car starts up and runs fine.
Here's a rough sketch..normally you would have two plates, one for air and one for EGR. I labeled them with paint,lol.

It's been a while for me, so someone correct me if im wrong.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Other way around Chavez lol The pipe thats on the Passanger side is the AIR, the big *** valve on the Driver's side (right side pic) is the EGR Valve.

#16 is the AIR pipe.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I already had the codes deleted via tune, I wont have the car running til the weekend. water pump and opti crapped out, what about the vac line that runs with the fuel lines? It feeds the egr crap I just pulled out.... should I trace it back to its source and cap it there or cut it and cap it anywhere?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by greenZ96
I already had the codes deleted via tune, I wont have the car running til the weekend. water pump and opti crapped out, what about the vac line that runs with the fuel lines? It feeds the egr crap I just pulled out.... should I trace it back to its source and cap it there or cut it and cap it anywhere?
Oh, I thought you had the EGR and AIR stuff tuned out, didn't know you meant the codes heh

Anyways, yea just cap everything off to be on the safe side. It's what I did even if most weren't necessary. Intake is really all you need to do.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

cool, the vac lines were the biggest question.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

thoes are both egr the tube lets exhaust into the back of the manifold and at crusing speed the egr valve opens and allows the exhaust to enter the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: egr/air pump removal