LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD wire kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD wire kit

I'm gonna change the plug wires this week. Yeah looking forward to it...... Any way I'm thinking about using msd wires but I have a few questions you smart and devillishly handsom lt1 owners.

The guy at the parts store wants to sell me a kit of plug wires from msd. Have any of you had problems with the length of the wires as a kit, being either to short or to long and do the msd's fit in the stock locations.

Also last time I took the alternator and power steering pump off to help with room. You guys know of any other tricks, like should I take the y pipe off?

Last edited by NorthernZ; 06-15-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, last time I changed the plug wires I used stock ones. Is there a benefit to the msd's
Old 06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

sooooo any one.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't say anything bad about MSD, had them on a Ford motor I built. I used Magnecore wires on my LT1. $ but have had very good luck with them. Got them from Lingenfelter.

I know F-body is tight, I have a B-body and did them from underneath the car. Removed the wire shielding brackets and wires as a unit, assembled new wires in bracket on bench and then installed both sides from underneath. Passenger side is harder and I did remove the tension pully to have better access around the Opti on passenger side. I know F body will have stuff my b-body does not have in the way.

8.5 mm wires do fit in stock wire looms, just push them in and secure those holders.

have fun
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I installed MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires on my car. No length problems whatsoever. I like them alot, very rigid, durable feeling wires. Only thing I did was remove the alternator and jacked the car up. No special tricks
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Also went with MSD 8.5 wires, loved them, no tricks to it. Just took off the alternator and jacked up the car. Some you have to do from the bottom, some from the top.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did mine with the car totaly in parts *turbo build and opti replacment*.. i found no problem with lenght. they seemed longer to be honest. the stock looms and trash with them. getting to the passenger side was a PIA becuse there is little to no space around the power steering pully. i zapstraped mine tight to the block and ive got about *** hair os space between them and the pully
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

what ever brand you get, I encourage routeing them the way the factory did, IMHO.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the tight engine compartment, and high heat that is contained within, I personally think a new set of plug wires every 35-40,000 miles is a good performance investment.

Having said that, I've changed my plugs and wires twice, on my '96 Z-28. Both times, I dropped the "Y pipe". Yes, it can be a PITA, especially if the pipe has never been off, and/or if the car is from the northeast, and been driven through road salt. The retaining nuts will probably be rusted on pretty good....

BUT, once you get the "Y pipe" off, you have a LOT of room to access everything, except the #2 plug, which is still buried behind the A/C compressor, and underneath some sort of air line.... As already mentioned, pop off the alternator and P/S pump, and most everyting in the front is readily accessable.

I learned one valuable lesson when changing the wires...DO remove the P/S pump, so you can easily get at the wire loom that's behind it. I didn't do this the first time I changed the wires, tried to just sneak them in the loom, and in the process, I accidentially sliced the jacket of one of the new wires. Fortunately, Moroso set me a replacement, free of charge! (I've used their BlueMax wire set both times. Good fit and good performance)

Quick Reply: MSD wire kit