LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Machine Work and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 383 Machine Work and Heads

Ok, so I'm drowning in posts on 383's, 355's, and head suggestions. I've seen short blocks from 3k to 5k (383) and heads upwards of 2k. Which way to go??

What is the cost for block machine work for 383 conversion with my current stock LT1? Can I have my stock heads ported and achieve 450-500 hp?

It's a daily driver and needs to idle and run a/c at a stoplights, etc.

I want to end up with 450-500hp with natural aspiration and I'm trying to choose the right path the 1st time.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

pm sent
Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

any info sent my way will be appreciated too... just picked up a stock lt to build and swap in place of mine. Daily drive and want to push 425-500 h.p. will stock heads and a small stroker do it or what to achieve needs??? THanks guys
Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

425-500 hp at the "wheels" is a tall order for LT1 NA 383, especially on a "daily" driver set up.

Flawless machine work, the best forged parts, well ported heads and matched cam are key componets.

LE and AI have very good reputations for head/cam packages. these are proprietary grinds on the cams.

Many people will have opinions, you might want to find a local builder who has experience with LT1's or contact ERE or Golen engines. Karl (ERE) has quite a waiting list since he does one motor at a time but there is alot to be said for someone as meticulas as he is. Golen will build any combination you want or be helpfull in making decisions.

My point is discuss your goals with a "qualified" builder. There is helpfull info on these forums but for the most part "we" are the consumers who can share experiences but are not the "experts".

Supporting mods, drivetrain upgrades and a good tune are critical to getting the power to the ground.

The more radical the build the expectations of long motor life (compared to stock) have to be realistic. Be realistic of your goals and car use and talk with a qualified source for their respective services.

You can have "your" block machined to 355 or 383 or just buy a complete shortblock. Have your stock AL heads ported by LE or AI with a matched cam. Better parts always = more $.

If you are looking for 500 RWHP....a power adder would be part of that equation for the LT1
Old 06-15-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

i made 396hp with my 355 in OD (car kept shifting out of 3rd so we had to run it in OD). i didn't have enough time to finish tuning it. i left with 396hp/360tq with an a/f of 11.8 on a load bearing dyno. if i would have had more time i would've leaned it out and hit the 400hp mark. i don't have a radical cam either. the heads are stockers ported and polished by a local shop. so you can make 400+ to the wheels on a daily driver without that much difficulty as long as everything is done right. i say your better off aiming for a desired et rather than hp.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95RamAirNC
any info sent my way will be appreciated too... just picked up a stock lt to build and swap in place of mine. Daily drive and want to push 425-500 h.p. will stock heads and a small stroker do it or what to achieve needs??? THanks guys
i'll pm you when i go back to ai to pick up my motor , in about 2 weeks. if you wanna meet them face to face and have a look around. shoot me a pm if you are intrested.

Quick Reply: 383 Machine Work and Heads