LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need pics of a flat black ws6 hood on firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need pics of a flat black ws6 hood on firebird

I'm looking to buy a ws6 (reproduction hood) and I wanna see what it would look like flat black on a black formula. Also anyone have their filler panel flat black, pics of that would be nice as well. Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the flat-black filler panel would look very good between two glossy tail lights :\

Sadly, most cars no don't look all that great with flat-black hoods, and also ricers seem to have taken over that area My friend's 70 Dart Swinger 340 looked killer with it's flat black hood and spoiler. I miss that thing, dumb *** traded it for a shitty *** lowered C10. Dart had flaws but not enough to merit that trade. Anyways hi-jack over.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

I'm doing them both for sure, this thread was to see if i was the only one. Im sure I'm not unfortunately
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Not to hijack the threat but I agree with the above poster, as for you buddy dart my dad just finished restoring a 1970 dart 340 4 speed, hemi orange with the flat black hood its got like 200miles on it since the resto. looks killer but yes the ricers distroyed this theme.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

**** ricers, I'll be taking it back from them. No more talk of badass mopars in this thread please, though i fully agree with you guys, on the mopar front atleast
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL Phire. If you want to come paint flat black stripes on my car, I'll help you take it back!

This seems like the most retarded question I can think of, but here goes: Would flat black essentially turn gloss black if you cleared it? >_> I've never bothered to even try lol Only thing thats ever gotten a flat/matte finish are motors and then we just leave em be.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a paint booth set up in my garage and do a fair amount of paint work. If you clear it it would be somewhat glossy. Flat collors have a lot of extra hardner in them to make them dry unevenly instead of laying down to become glossy. But they now have whats called flat clears so you still have the protection of clear coat with flat colors and from what I was told at the place that I get my paint from you can put it on normal base coats that would otherwise be glossy and make them flat. But thats just what ive heard.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting. Problem I see is painting a car like Phire's, which would have flat AND glossy. You'd want to use that flat clear on the whole car so it blends well, but it seems like that wouldn't work. You'd have to leave whatever you painted tapped off even for clear... Unless over a 'normal' clear it doesn't 'flatten' it out, in a manner of speaking.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

If you clear flat black it has a dull gloss to it, I work at a vette shop and we do paint there, I just think flat black on a gloss black car, with reflective grand sport stripes might look the *****. I'm just seeing if anyones done it and kept it before. If it looks like *** i'll change it

Quick Reply: I need pics of a flat black ws6 hood on firebird