LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gtech

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gtech

I don't know much about these devices, but has anyone had much luck with them? Someone was trying to tell me they are just about as accurate as a dyno.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

My freind had one. I know it was pretty accurate to estimating his quarter mile time . It was only a few .100 off from his actualy time at the track. As far as figuring your hp. I would say it may ball park it for you but since so many other factors are involved durring a run it could be way off, Here is a quick example.. If you do a launch will using gtech and you have massive wheel spin you get some shitty numbers. While on a dyno your straped onto it and it caputres most of the power. Just my 2 cents

And now that i think about it im not sure if the gtech even gave estimated hp ratings. But i cannot remember now.

Micah
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I used one that was about dead on quarter mile times for my car.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

they will be as accurate are the data input into them....they also assume zero wheelspin.

with there 1/4 mile estimation the speed listed is the speed at the end of the 1/4 mile and not an avg of the last 60 feet
Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the g-tech is an awesome instrument,some people think they are inaccurate since the MPH is generally 5mph fast. that happens because the g-tech initiates due to inertia,not breaking a beam of light.......
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

could someone give us some more info about this g-tech thing? or a website where i can find some info on it? it sounds very interesting and i'd like to take a look. also how much do they cost?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Teching In

I have the SS model and it is a nice device. I never compared it for accuracy, but it works good for before and after mod comparison. It does HP, TQ, 0-60mph, 1/8, 1/4, 60', g-forces straight, corners, stopping. It does a few other things as well. You need a good flat road to use it. The roads in my area are not real flat so I always use the same one if I need to do any comparisons. Your car weight is a big factor is finding your HP with it so I wouldn't really rely on it to be super accurate. Not to mention wind drag and other factors will have affects also. If you get one do the RR model then you can upload the data when people call BS on your readings. I'm planning on sending mine in to be flashed for the upgrade.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hot black trans-am
I have the SS model and it is a nice device. I never compared it for accuracy, but it works good for before and after mod comparison. It does HP, TQ, 0-60mph, 1/8, 1/4, 60', g-forces straight, corners, stopping. It does a few other things as well. You need a good flat road to use it. The roads in my area are not real flat so I always use the same one if I need to do any comparisons. Your car weight is a big factor is finding your HP with it so I wouldn't really rely on it to be super accurate. Not to mention wind drag and other factors will have affects also. If you get one do the RR model then you can upload the data when people call BS on your readings. I'm planning on sending mine in to be flashed for the upgrade.
thanks man! perfect and do you have the site and whats the cost difference in the two models?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

i just saw it at the top of my page (sponsor)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a little bit older model that I bought from a member for cheap about a month or so ago. It's pretty fun, and accurated for 1/4 mile times. But, the HP numbers are wayyyy off. I can't find a decent road to use it on though. The best 60' time I've been able to get is a 2.7 lol. I'm going to have to try it out again after I get my DR's mounted to see if I can do any better.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM

I use a belltronics version of the gtech and it is within a tenth or so of what my truck runs in the 1/8th mile.

They have to be calibrated correctly to be close to correct.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Ive got one that i used in my Nissan and now the Trans Am. Also used it on my friends GTO. The system does take into account for wheel spin by how the RPM's read. My TA A4 is pretty much stock but intake and catback and did a 14.8 @ 95mph, 2.5 60ft just flooring the car and burning 1st at redline forever. Hardest thing ive found was to get the RPM calibration correct. The way the horsepower reading works is by total vehicle weight and by G Force. Its insanely innacurate. Basically have to do a 1st gear roll to be anywhere close to accurate and not have any wheel spin. For reference, my friends GTO did a 9.5 w/ 2.5 60ft in the 1/8 on the G Tech which is exactly what he ran at the local track. My best with my Nissan was 11.8 @ 121mph with 1.85 60ft on the G Tech and at the track i did a 12.0 @ 121mph with 1.95 60ft. Would have been accurate if the 60ft was lower at the track.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

I have one and they can help you get a ballpark figure on your car and how it will do. Nothing works as well ahs the track and the lights coming down, the guy in the other lane and the motors screaming. True test there.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

how do those work. in the comercial they say all you have to do is plug it in a ciggarette lighter ...but how do they do the shift light?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gtech