LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My first LT1 rebuild and I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question My first LT1 rebuild and I need some help.

How do you set the initial timing on a fresh rebuild? There has to be more to it than just sticking the OPTI on?

all your answers are very appreciated.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

assuming you have the timing chain lined up properly. the opti depending on year, has a specific place in the drive that matches up to the timing gear. if you force it it will go in and be out of time. look at the drive carefully and you'll see the difference.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1taracing
assuming you have the timing chain lined up properly. the opti depending on year, has a specific place in the drive that matches up to the timing gear. if you force it it will go in and be out of time. look at the drive carefully and you'll see the difference.
I appreciate the answer, Its a 93 Firehawk I just purchased from a young man that had the motor rebuilt at a reputable shop. He installed the engine and has never been able to make it run. Of course none of the accesorries are on it and I see a ton of plugs that are undone. So yes I bought a project and I am determined to figure it out. 383 LT1 with Cali crank, H beam rods, etc, etc. If I can get it to run it should be fun.

Quick Reply: My first LT1 rebuild and I need some help.