LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strange Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Misfire

Well its all starting again. Last year I had some misfire issues with no check engine light, but it ended up being 2 burnt plug wires. Now my car is starting the misfireing again but only around 2000 RPMs then it will clean up and run normal. It didn't do it for the first 250 miles, but then all of a sudden it started. First time it did it is when I was in 4th gear going about 45 or 50 mph, acted like it was missing on a couple cylinders then I accelerated just a little bit and it cleaned up. Doesn't seem to be the opti since its really random and the opti only has about 900 miles on it, but somethings not right. Its not throwing any codes and if the rpms are above 2500 it doesn't miss at all.

But I do have an exhaust leak in front of the 02 sensor on the drivers side thanks to the wonderful hooker headers. The weld that holds 2 of the primary tubes pulled apart and left a nice 1/8" hole in the tube. But I'm not sure if that would cause all of the problems.

But if you have any suggestions for me I'd appreciate it. I'm going to run my datamaster on it again tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the 02s... If it stops when you mass on the gas a little then it would keep your can in "open loop" . Un hook your 02s and drive around.. your SES light will come on then it warms up some but it shouldnt act up.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I'll try that. It has denso 02s and thats why I'm thinking it may be those.

Thanks alot