LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought a TA, Doing an A4 - T56 & LT motor swap or Swap Cams, IM etc?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a TA, Doing an A4 - T56 & LT motor swap or Swap Cams, IM etc?

Ok Basically tomorrow I am going to pick up a TA that was almost everything I ever wanted. The right color minus the new parts (Purple), a TA that's completely stock (Although its an A4) and the interior is in nice shape. However its not a convertible... oh well lol. Just means my SFC will work.

I have my Z28 with a rebuilt LT4 in it however I am not sure of the rebuild quality since I did not do it. Ported heads, Ported LT4 IM (Porting was just to match the gaskets intake and exhaust I believe), LT4 Cam and I believe the Knock Sensor was present on 96 and up as well as I remember asking if it was there.

Basically whats easier. I know the A4 to T56 is going to be fun but since I have a complete car it should not be bad. I just do not want two fully dropped K Member cars at my house....

So whats the best idea? Pull the Heads, check them swap them and the IM's along with cams so that I can just drop the tranny? Or how about just doing the Rocker Arms, Cams, IM and supporting items? I will be at least dropping the TA motor just to make it easier to put in but basically I am not looking for REALLY long life from this motor. Just 2 years max until I have built my LSx or LTx Stroker Motor. (Still weighing the pros and cons)

I can not do a huge project at my house on terms of pulling both K- Members either. I am doing it on the TA as it will make the Conversion easier.

What would you do?

Also any insight on making this easier on myself is def something I would love to hear. Any small things I should do I will also want to hear. But for now dropping both K-Members is out.

This is the New TA since I brought up I am picking it up in the morning lol. I will miss my T56 Until the swap is done and def my power... but oh is it going to be fun when its done and its a TA which I just could not say no to. I am now wondering since I have green paint for the Camaro... how much the purple is to finish the pieces on this car...

The owner hit a Cactus, did not bend anything but the Alignment was off, broke the fender and bumper in places so he replaced it as well as buying a WS6 Hood. I need a front fog though I believe. Either way, what do you think? 1800.00 running with ac. He has all the records, he is a mech. himself and just replaced the waterpump, radiator, opti, tires, etc etc etc.

Oh on another thought, assuming my car does have the Knock sensor where is that thread on what I need and how to put it in the OBDI cars? Thanks

Last edited by Cross; 07-07-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Did I am ramble to much in my post or are there no opinions on what the better option between pulling the parts or pulling the whole motor?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A catus? Wouldnt think a cactus could so so much damage, but I live in Houston, so what do I know about them. We did the LT and six speed swap on a friends 94 at the same time, I would knock those out first. You could do every thing at once but saying as you cant do a huge project, might be better to break it up. A six speed and LT swap is gonna tie you up for a while, plus isnt it hot as hell out there right now, I mean its not like it's summer or you live in Arizona or any thing
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Def hot I have a place to work obviously but still its hot lol.

I also found after picking it up the coolant sensor does not seem to move not sure what to think its connected but the gauge does not move. Car runs cool though. I have been watching to coolant and the over flow. Time to play with that.

I do agree the front looks a little worse for wear for a cactus out here but the frame looks straight, the mounting looks right. I will keep cleaning it up. I think the hood may be off mainly I will see what I can do today and tomorrow and post pics of it cleaned up.

I do think the motor is def strong... just to get the other questions about the knock sensor etc worked out.

I also need to decide am I pulling the heads and swapping them or just the valve tran and cam... I am not sure.

Search this Thread