LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Inj alcohol through a NOS nozzle..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inj alcohol through a NOS nozzle..

Ive been doing some research on running alcohol as an additive, not primary, fuel source. Seperate system tanked and plumbed under the hood, fed into the intake elbow through a NOS nozzle. Do you think its feasible? Ive got all the parts to do this with so Im was contemplating putting a system together if it can do it on my current tune. Set it up with a window switch, power button in the cab, like an actual NOS setup.

Curious if there are folks who can show what the gains were with a setup like this?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The gains would be NOTHING, unless this is a boosted car and you forgot to tell us.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Actually it would be kind of like the snow kits and you CAN use them with a N/A setup, but the gains aren't as much. All it really does is cool the air down, but it may add a little bit of power I'm not really sure.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if the NA tune is right then the additional alcohol will make it rich. If you set the tune lean to accommodate the additional alcohol then the cooling might be worth a tiny bit, though a NOS nozzle is completely the wrong thing to inject with as they are meant to use 950psi nitrous to atomise the gas.
Might help to understand alcohol contains substantially LESS energy than gasoline. The way alky motors make more power than gas is because it brings in some oxygen with it allowing you to burn a LOT more, like twice as much in order to get a little more power.
With boost comes substantially raised intake air temps and alky evaporation can cool that just like it does your skin if you spill some on you, but if the air is not that hot like it is in an NA application, there is not much room to cool.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope not a boosted motor, was thinking of using it as a power adder but it sounds like it might not be too benficial used in that manner. More insights/opinions welcome. Good info guys!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

If you go on snow performances website, they offer na methanol kit's! But to utilize the kit to it's potential, you need to purchase the nitro booster additive! You mix this with windshield fluid or heet. They claim 30-50hp gain, I have personally seen 30whp gain on a stock lt-1 on a dynojet. The only difference was that, the nitro was mixed in with the gas. I personally have ran klotz nitromethane in my car by just mixin it and it makes a big difference, like a small shot of n2o(you only mix a 3-4 ounces to 5 gallons 93). The injection kit looks like a better way to get a more accurate blend of nitro/methanol/gas mix.

If you only want the injection kit for just methanol, being your na, the only benifit would be being able to run lower octane fuel(87). Which I don't think the savings in one year from running 93 to 87 would pay for the kit, it's close.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you provide the pressure needed to inject it anyways? It not like a N2o bottles that pressure themselves. Maybe Im wrong but can someone explain this????
Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

A variable drive pump will do the job, thats what all alky/methanol kits use!

Quick Reply: Inj alcohol through a NOS nozzle..