I'm putting it back together!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm putting it back together!

You guys might remember this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...843&highlight=

Long story short, like a month ago I built a 383 shortblock and combined it with my LPE heads and a custom Bauer cam. Crankshaft broke, tore up some other stuff and broke the cam into pieces. Quite a letdown, but it was slow anyway, it only ran 110mph in the 1/4 with a 12.03 ET. Given it needed some fine tuning, but it wasn't that far off to be that slow.

I was going to put the car back somewhat stock. Stock motor, maybe a cam, still keep most the bolt ons and put a 6 speed in it and make it a fun driver, get a different car for a track car. I even put my cylinder heads up for sale and what not. I started checking out AI and some of their results, and I started becoming interested. I compared my flowsheet for my heads to a flowsheet for their 200cc heads, and surprisingly mine flow very similar, +/-4cfm at various amounts of lift.

So needless to say this brought my motivation back. I need a cam by the weekend so I ordered an off the shelf 226/234 cam from them today. I will be placing my LPE cylinder heads and valvetrain along with their cam on a good stock bottom end I have. I should have the cam Saturday, I hope to get the motor done Saturday night and get it in the car on Monday. Then I have a little time to mess with the tune and on Wednesday I head to NC for the NHRA race at zMax Dragway.

Going to be a busy and fun week ahead, hopefully it stays together this time.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, now that you have got our hopes up...

There had BETTER be pictures of goodies and cars in this thread before I read this weekend
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Sucks about the old motor, but at least you got your motivation back! I haven't had motivation in a while, and my cars aren't even broken, lol.

Good luck getting it back together! Hope to see a few pics and some post build performance numbers
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

I'll get some pics but there won't be anything special to see. I'll definitely post some track times as soon as I get to a track. I don't really care for dyno numbers much so it's doubtful that I will be spending my money on any dyno pulls.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

congrats man! what brand crank shaft broke in the 383?

EDIT.. MY BAD JUST READ THE POSTED LINK!

Last edited by grn95t/a; 09-04-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck, and grats - I'm jealous!

I got at least a month before all the loose ends of my stroker rebuild are all tied together .

I just need more time...and some more money wouldn't hurt either!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome ferg. i had a feeling you were going to throw those heads on something. wheres that huge xfi cam????
Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch, cast eagle on a fairly potent stroker was a bit of a risky move. Its only rated to like 500fwhp, and depending on your stall it looks like you may have been passed that! It should have held anyway, but would have been very close to the "leeway" of what it could handle. I do not think eagle would do anything about it.

At least you are getting it back on the road! My car has been nothing more then an over-sized obstacle sitting in the garage for the last 8 months or so - I cant wait to get it back together!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GL mang!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

awesome ferg. i had a feeling you were going to throw those heads on something. wheres that huge xfi cam????
Haha that thing is long gone. It was too big.

Ouch, cast eagle on a fairly potent stroker was a bit of a risky move. Its only rated to like 500fwhp, and depending on your stall it looks like you may have been passed that! It should have held anyway, but would have been very close to the "leeway" of what it could handle. I do not think eagle would do anything about it.

At least you are getting it back on the road! My car has been nothing more then an over-sized obstacle sitting in the garage for the last 8 months or so - I cant wait to get it back together!!!
Haha don't feel bad man. Mine was in that state from August 2007 to April 2008 when I put a stock motor in it just to get it back on the road. As for Eagle, the only way they will replace a part is if a defect is found in it before it has been used. Otherwise anyone is on their own once the part has been used. Knowing this, I didn't even look into it.

Quick Reply: I'm putting it back together!