LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust banging

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust banging

Hi all quick question for you. I reciently had LT pacesetter's with ORY and Borla cat back installed on my 96 SS convertible. Problem is that it is knocking against the driver side floorboard during acceleration, or when I go over bumps etc...

Now I did not do the install, had local shop do it. I took it back to them and they said there really isnt anything they can do about it besides install some frame connectors to stop the frame from twisting because It is a convertible which is what is making the exhaust hit.

I am very novice at working on cars so I have no idea if that is right or not, but what can I do to stop it from banging. It sounds and feels like crap when it hits.

Thanks

Ok Crazy enough I thought I had done all the searching I could and couldnt find any info but here is one persons fix for the problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/982573-pacesetter-lt-y-pipe-fix.html

1996 Camaro Z28 SS convertible.

Last edited by Morikk; 09-08-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Launching!

if anything it sounds like they forgot some exhaust hangers if you say there was no knocking until the exhaust was installed, but ya, sub-frame connectors make a huge difference, i dont have a vert but i do have t-tops.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You either need a large hammer to make clearance so the header doesn't hit or new motor mounts to keep the motor from twisting as much.This is a very common problem with pacesetter headers.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1_Fireman
You either need a large hammer to make clearance so the header doesn't hit or new motor mounts to keep the motor from twisting as much.This is a very common problem with pacesetter headers.
Someone JUST posted a thread on a 'fix' for this while keeping it nice looking. I[you, OP] would give a browse through page 1 and page 2 to find it.

Or if you have a welder, then weld an exhaust hanger where it's hitting the most.

Also a common upgrade for people with headers is the LT4 Knock Module, if you haven't done it, might not be a bad investment. Comes from a 1996 LT4 Vette M6 if you plan to goto the parts store. Otherwise it's in the NEWBIE FAQ in the Parts Numbers section I think under Ignition or Computers.

EDIT: Here it is, was still on page 1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982573
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

I cut part the part where it bangs and beat it flat with a rubber mallet. A guy I used to work with cut it off then flipped it and welded it back it in place. Instead of using header wrap on headers I wrapped the fuel lines any where it was closer than an inch.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smokinlt1
I cut part the part where it bangs and beat it flat with a rubber mallet. A guy I used to work with cut it off then flipped it and welded it back it in place. Instead of using header wrap on headers I wrapped the fuel lines any where it was closer than an inch.
In case you aren't aware, header wrap isn't intended to protect things in your engine bay, that's just a byproduct. It's purpose is to keep heat inside the exhaust to prevent waste and flow better.

But if you knew that, NM
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Your right about that but it's all I had to protect the fuels lines from the collectors at that moment and have been too cheap and lazy to do anything else with it. Figured it was better than not using anything at all.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

My bangs to i put sub frame connectors in and it helped a little but didnt fix it so what i did was took an old valve spring cut it to fit in and it works pretty good its a temporary fix the real solution is put poly motor mounts in so the motor has no play in it
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smokinlt1
Your right about that but it's all I had to protect the fuels lines from the collectors at that moment and have been too cheap and lazy to do anything else with it. Figured it was better than not using anything at all.
Just making sure. I'd have done that as well to protect them
Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone needs the BFH mods
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

poly mounts fixed mine. after the lt and ypipe install i had the same banging. new polys and it was gone. sucked too, kicked myself in the ***. i was thinking i should do them when i was doing the header install. didn't! mistake! would have been much easier with the exhaust out. lol!

Quick Reply: Exhaust banging