LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Leak From Valve Cover - Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak From Valve Cover - Help Please!

It is from up high on the passenger side, and it is NOT the back of the intake. It seems to be from closer to the back of the valve cover. After I already had the leak I took off the VC to adjust the RRs and found that the back of the gasket had fallen into the head when I was putting on the covers the previous time so I put in a new VC gasket thinking it would solve the problem. No change. I was going to pull the cover and put a new one thinking that the original one may have gotten twisted slightly from being tightened down without the gasket in place in the back, but then noticed that there is a hint of oil film ON TOP of the valve cover.

When I built up the engine I installed an in-line filter in the line that runs from the pass. side valve cover to the TB. Do you think that the whole leak could be from here? I took it off and can blow air through it almost without restriction, but the filter doesn't sit real tight into the valve cover.

Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

So, did you fix the valve cover gasket or not?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I fixed the gasket. I put a new one in but it still leaked, so I pulled the cover and tried to re-seat it again and it is still leaking and I am confident that the gasket is correctly seated.

I'm thinking about wrapping the base of the filter with electrical tape a few times around so that it fits a bit tighter in the valve cover grommet to see if maybe that is where the oil is passing by. It is getting annoying always having my car smell like burnt oil and having oil spots everywhere I park.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

So uh, where did you get the filter at?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess what I am asking is if it makes sense that I would have a leak here, and/or if anyone has seen this happen here.

I got the filter from AutoZone since it seemed that I was getting a bit of oil coming back into the intake through the tube instead of just air.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've spent far more time than I felt should be necessary, chasing down %%$&!! oil leaks on my LT1. After a LOT of work, I think I finally have them cured. I, too, had valve cover leakage. What I think happens, is that over time, the heat from the engine allows the outer channel of the valve cover to "settle" which eliminates some of the tension between the gasket, the valve cover, and the head. Then it seeps oil.

The last time I replaced the valve cover gaskets, I looked at the valve covers fom the side, and compared the outermost metal of the gasket "retaining channel", and compared it to the innermost side. I found that the outside was "above" the level of the inside. I took a pair of channel locks, and carefully and gently, bent the outside down, so it was "lower" than the outside. I did this all around the perimiter of the cover. This created greater clamping action for the gasket, and stopped the seepage. (BTW, the torque figure for the valve covers is 106 in./lbs.)
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

After thoroughly wiping down my valve cover and driving hard for about 5 miles, I noticed that it is leaking from the under the 4 valve cover bolts/washers. WTF?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

There's no way that oil would "naturally" go upward in the support tubes, them work its way under the washers, unless there was pressure forcing it to do so. It sounds like you have a build up of air pressure inside the engine. As simple as it sounds, is your PCV plugged up, blocked off, or something like that?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked and the bolts were actually pretty loose. I tried not to over-torque them when I re-seated the gasket but it seems like I under-torqued them. I tightened them back up and now I guess we'll see how it works out.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
I checked and the bolts were actually pretty loose. I tried not to over-torque them when I re-seated the gasket but it seems like I under-torqued them. I tightened them back up and now I guess we'll see how it works out.
The spec is 106 in/lbs.....
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, so I tightened down the v.c. bolts, and wrapped the base of the v.c. breather filter with electrical tape a few times so that it would fit tighter....

and now the oil is coming out the base of the oil fill tube (base of bolts are now dry).

I guess I'll try taking the breather out and just putting the original hose back on, but it seems odd that the filter would be the issue since I can breathe through it with no resistance.

Is there a bigger problem here?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you cut the bottom part of the filter off that extends down the base? It's kind of hard to explain without a picture but you should know what I'm talking about when you see it. It looked like it would block most of the flow since it would still be inside the grommet. I'm running that same filter on my car without any issues fwiw.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Alright, so I tightened down the v.c. bolts, and wrapped the base of the v.c. breather filter with electrical tape a few times so that it would fit tighter....

and now the oil is coming out the base of the oil fill tube (base of bolts are now dry).

I guess I'll try taking the breather out and just putting the original hose back on, but it seems odd that the filter would be the issue since I can breathe through it with no resistance.

Is there a bigger problem here?
Is your PCV working properly?

BTW, are we talking about a somewhat normally driven, street car, or is it a "hard driven" street/strip car?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Speed Demon - I didn't cut anything on the filter, so it is good to know that you are using it without issue.

Leadfood - It is a "hard-driven street car". I rarely get to the track but I drive pretty hard with a fair amount of high RPM and acceleration each day to & from work.

I am going to check the PCV this morning, and also check to see that the tube that runs from the filter on the pass-side valve cover to the TB has some vacuum to it (sort of a pre-compression test to see if I am getting a lot of blow-by).
Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Updates: I checked the PCV valve and it seems just fine. I took the tube that connects the pass. side valve cover to the TB off the TB and can tell that is does have a slight vacuum at idle, like it should. However, when I rev the engine it is under pressure and I'll get a very little puff of white smoke when I rev it and let off. I pulled the cap off the oil fill tube and same scenario (obviously).

Does this mean that I have bad blow-by or is this somewhat normal? I also read that it could be the valve seals. What should I check next? Should I check the seal on the filler tube or should I take the plunge and do a compression/leakdown test?

Last edited by 1quickTransAm; 06-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anybody have any feedback? A very small puff of smoke coming out the oil filler tube when revving and letting off.... what all can that mean? Bad piston rings, valve seal, anything else?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Does anybody have any feedback? A very small puff of smoke coming out the oil filler tube when revving and letting off.... what all can that mean? Bad piston rings, valve seal, anything else?
That sounds like nothing more than normal "windage" in the engine to me....
Old 01-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Necro bump, but having very similar issues with my 97 SS. Stock PCV system which is working properly, no extra filters attached etc. Replaced the PCV valve at 60,000 miles just because, 70,000 miles on the car now.

Recurring oil seepage issue which appears to be coming from my passenger side valve cover as it has a constant oil sweat/film on it. I pulled the valve cover and replaced the original orange gasket (which looked and felt fine, not dried out or cracked) with a new gasket. Tightened the bolts to spec and for a couple of weeks it appeared to be better however the oil film has reappeared.

Prior to this, I pulled my intake manifold to address the infamous seepage from back of LT1 intake issue that plagues these cars. Bent the EGR pipe back slightly, installed new gaskets and sealed the block ends with RTV sealant. Followed all of SHBOX's instructions with regards to torqueing the bolts, allowing the silicone to cure properly prior to driving (actually let it sit for about 3 days prior to firing it up.) Also used a dab of pipe thread sealant (white stuff) on my intake bolts in case any oil crept up somehow.

There is a heavy film of oil on the bottom of my T56 transmission and the surrounding area which drips onto my parking pad about 5-10 golf ball sized drops after the engine gets good and hot after a cruise. It isn't pouring out, but I'm tired of looking at oil spots and having helpful neighbors remind me about them lol.

I took my time resealing my intake manifold and also with my valve cover gasket replacement so I'd really like to know what else it could be and what I could've done differently (if anything.)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A similar leak on mine came from the extension tube that the oil filler cap attaches to. The O-ring between the tube and valve cover apparently just let go and disappeared at some point. I pulled the tube and threaded the filler cap directly into the cover and it fixed it.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rentedmule
A similar leak on mine came from the extension tube that the oil filler cap attaches to. The O-ring between the tube and valve cover apparently just let go and disappeared at some point. I pulled the tube and threaded the filler cap directly into the cover and it fixed it.
I'll give that a shot and remove that stupid annoying tube! it seems like some of the seepage is coming from where the valve cover hose enters the passenger valve cover.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak From Valve Cover - Help Please!