LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what is needed to build a daily driveable 400hp lt1

Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is needed to build a daily driveable 400hp lt1

I have a 1994 z28 with the stock lt1. Im going to be adding full exhaust cai and probably 373 gears. What all is needed to make my lt1 reach 400 hp to the wheels and still be reliable enough for me to drive it to and from work everyday about 40 miles a day. I would like to keep this n/a no turbo or supercharger and not interested in nos either. Im also going to get the strano springs and koni shocks along with lcs'a and the other suspension mods. Im probably going to be looking into some 315's for the rear after i get all this done. Any good websites and combo's would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lumpy cam will get you to your goal of 400 crank horsepower. Now if we're talking 400rwhp.. You'll need a heads and cam package.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

well i have to pass emissions also. So i dunno if a big lumpy cam will be good for me. Where can i get a good head and cam package??? Im going to be getting the motor rebuilt and a couple months and im also going to do a t56 swap as well. thanks for the quick response. Any info on head and cam packages and where to get them would be awesome if anyone can chime in.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.elliottsportworks.com or www.advancedinduction.com. i'd call lloyd and tell him what you want and let him go crazy with it
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Le1 cam and le2 heads. Llyod can cut you a cam to pass emissions. You will break 400rwhp no problem.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
NightTrain66@msn.com

Hes a popular guy to deal with. I am going to have him fully work my heads in about a month of so.

I wouldnt go with anyone else. Just ask around here and cz28.com
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree lloyd or ai will get you where you need to be
Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

You can get an emissions-compliant cam from most of the major ported(or aftermarket)-head / custom cam vendors.

400rwhp may be a little high for an emissions setup, but you can certainly reach into the
375 range with a ported stock head and custom cam.

Get ahold of Lloyd Elliott (nighttrain66 ; nighttrain66@msn.com) and he'll hook you up.
I've seen at least a few people here and over on CZ28 with his emissions stuff.
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

AirFlowResearch (sales@airflowresearch.com)
and Advanced Induction (sales@advancedinduction.com) should also have options for you.
They're all sponsors here.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

400 rwhp and pass emissions.......hmmmmm that may be a tough one since you want to stay NA (the emissions part not the 400rwhp). advanced inductions or lloyd elliot seem to be the top lt1 head and cam package providers. call one of them up. also don't get caught up on hp numbers focus on the et.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed i just talked wit lloyd myself and he was very helpful and will get u wat u want ill probaly hav him do work for me over winter
Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

wow thanks guys. Yeah im not really worried about the numbers i just really want my car to wake up. Its bone stock right now. I hardly ever go to the track so it wont be anything more than my daily driven fun car on weekends. I would love to be pushing 350-400 to the wheels and still be able to pass emissions here in az. Ill definitely give lloyd a call and get this stuff started this winter. Im hoping to have a good chunk of money this winter for all my mods or at least by next summer. Im gonna order bolt ons and stuff in the next month or so and then work on the suspension stuff and then get the motor stuff done.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, don't forget the bolt-ons. AKA "supporting mods"
You won't get the results you want without them.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

oh yeah definitely. What do you suggest as far as roller rockers and stuff like that. Im probably gonna have the engine rebuild and stuff done by a well known shop here in az called top gear motorsports which do alot of work for lt1 guys. As far as the bolt ons im thinking of going with kooks long tube headers with a catted y pipe and slp loudmouth 1 cat back. Some good 3.73 gears and whatever cai i can find for a decent price. What elso is needed when it comes to bolt ons other than suspension stuff. Like i said this is my daily driven vehicle so i dont need it set up for track use.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

ARP 7/16" studs
Comp Promagnum 1.6 NSA Rockers
TFS Guideplates
Comp 1-peice Pushrods
Comp 850-16 lifters
GM "Impala" Lt1 head gaskets (.029") [the Mr Gasket .026" ones seem to get damaged a lot in packing]
Arp head bolt kit (better yet, head stud kit)
New timing chain
36# SVO or Lucas/Racetronix injectors

A proper tune

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
As far as the bolt ons im thinking of going with kooks long tube headers with a catted y pipe and slp loudmouth 1 cat back. Some good 3.73 gears and whatever cai i can find for a decent price.
That pretty much covers the bolt-ons that are required.
A 58mm Tb and the intake ported to match would be a great compliment to the H/C
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can hit 400rwhp with a hotcam if you have the heads. There are many guys on cz28.com that pass emissions and lay down over 400rwhp. Your just going to need better heads to make up for the small cam. And you are going to "need" all the supporting mods. (58mm tb, ewp, LT's, etc)

Talk to Llyod and see what he says.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

yeah im definitely going to. thanks for all the info guys. I cant wait to be drivin around town in a 350-400 hp beast. Looks like im gonna have to start piecing together all this stuff slowly but in the end its gonna be awesome i cant wait. How long will my stock ten bolt last with this much power as long as im not launching it with sticky tires all the time??
Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

yeah im definitely going to. thanks for all the info guys. I cant wait to be drivin around town in a 350-400 hp beast. Looks like im gonna have to start piecing together all this stuff slowly but in the end its gonna be awesome i cant wait. How long will my stock ten bolt last with this much power as long as im not launching it with sticky tires all the time??
How lucky do you feel?
I've put a few dozen 1.5 and 1.6 launches on my girdled 10bolt with 3.73s and DRs.
Granted, I also drive an auto with a 4000 stall.

With an M6, it won't last long at all.
With an A4 and DRs, you'll probably get away with it for a while.
No guarantees though.

One thing is for sure, it will happen at the worst time and everyone will be watching.
(or worse, no one will be around to help you tow it home)

Kinda like the time I found out my car doesn't have a low fuel warning light.
3am, middle of farm country, barefoot and no wallet of cell phone (long story), no open gas stations for miles.
Made for an interesting night.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

yeah true that man. I guess the rear will need to be taken care of as well. I hate that gm didnt give us a beefier rear to handle the power.

So about this barefoot no phone no wallet out in the middle of the country situation what the hell were you doing lol
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

So about this barefoot no phone no wallet out in the middle of the country situation what the hell were you doing lol
Had just finished cleaning the car and decided to take it for a spin.
I had only owned it a week or so at that point.

Didn't really think much about it, I mean who needs a wallet and phone to go around the block?
Besides, if I went inside the wife would know I was up that late messin' with the car

Apparently, I got a little carried away with my cruise.
Completely forgot about the wallet and phone.
Remembered the shoes when I stepped out of the car to start pushing.

I was fortunate that someone stopped by in a pickup truck.
I used his cellphone to call the wife. Yeah ... that didn't go over so well (my kids were like 8months and 2years old at the time)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL^^^^^^ LE will set you up right, and tell you everything you need to get the job done.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Had just finished cleaning the car and decided to take it for a spin.
I had only owned it a week or so at that point.

Didn't really think much about it, I mean who needs a wallet and phone to go around the block?
Besides, if I went inside the wife would know I was up that late messin' with the car

Apparently, I got a little carried away with my cruise.
Completely forgot about the wallet and phone.
Remembered the shoes when I stepped out of the car to start pushing.

I was fortunate that someone stopped by in a pickup truck.
I used his cellphone to call the wife. Yeah ... that didn't go over so well (my kids were like 8months and 2years old at the time)

Oh man that sucks, good thing that guy came by with the phone. Guess you wont be goin out on some late night cruises without lettin the wife know huh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is needed to build a daily driveable 400hp lt1