LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Transmission leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leaking!

Well yesterday i was a big idiot and did this:

And now the trans is leaking and the fluid smells really burnt. The car has like 75K on it and from what i know, the fluid was never changed. And the leak seems to be coming from the front of the tranny.

After i drove the car home, nothing was acting up and then when i moved it from the driveway into the garage i noticed the puddle an after it cooloed off i took it out for a drive any every gear shifts fine... what possibly have i cooked?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Teching In

No body?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

How big is this "puddle"?

And did you get any idea where it might be coming from? (front, back, middle ect..)
Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably didnt cook anything....you prolly got your tranny way too hot and burnt your fluid...change your tranny fluid/filter and dont drive it unless you know your tranny fluid is full...if not you WILL burn something up.. ps when you change your filter get a filter/pan gasket kit...so you will have the gasket brand new too...nobody wants to put a used gasket back on their car..this is something you need to do regardless of whatever else is wrong with it...make sure your running clean fluid and a fresh filter..

if its coming from the front odds are you have busted your front seal on your pump(stater unit) and its going to have to be pulled for this....

coulda cracked your converter(may not be visible and a hairline crack on the welds where your converter bolts go in or may be visible) good way to check is to fill it up with a little bit, just a little bit of water and put a cap on it and poke a tiny hole in it and then stick an air hose with a blow tip on it in the poke hole and allow it to build up pressure and look for leaks....

also their is a copper bushing that is in the front of your stater unit and it has a little hole in it that allows fluid to flow to bushing and that lubricates it and then goes back to the bottom..check to see if that has had too much pressure on it and has scooted up...if so you need a new stater unit and a tranny shop is going to have to do this becuase iit needs to stand straight up and down to do it and i know odds are your not going to do it lol..

i could walk you through the basics if you need help over the phone but if you tell me that your bushing is walked out then take it to a tranny shop and while you have it out get a shift kit..you will like your car alot better...and dont let anyone tell you that you need a stall if your going to drive it on the street, their not that fun..

GOODLUCK MAN!!! let us know what your find

Last edited by jarretthise; 09-23-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
How big is this "puddle"?

And did you get any idea where it might be coming from? (front, back, middle ect..)
man fixxer99 your bad tonight....lol...he said the front bro..
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey man update us on what is going on with this thing!

Quick Reply: Transmission leaking!