LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how loose should valves be? (cant move with fingers,only with pliers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how loose should valves be? (cant move with fingers,only with pliers)

after my question ill tell you what happened........i took my rocker arm off, pushrod and valve spring.......now i cannot push the valve up and down with my hands i have to use pliers (channel locks).........this is the first time ive ever even messed with my valves so i have no idea???

1995 z28 automatic

i replaced the stock valve covers with chrome ones....they didnt look exactly the same but the guy at auto zone said they would work......the only way the passenger side would fit is with the oil cap in the back and the pcv valve in the front also there is another thing that looked like a pcv valve on the driver side...........right after i put them on i drove down the road and it ran horrible like there was absolutely no power unless i floored it....then it felt the same as normal when it down shifted...................but when ideling it would drop down to 500rpm and would even die sometimes.......i took off the valve covers and my second rocker arm from the front was actually turned sideways because it hit the piece thats under the pcv valve...................the valve was about 1/4in. inside the motor so i turned the motor over and couple times and it came out far enough for me to get a grip on it.........it actually took quite a bit of force for me to pull it out all the way so i put the rocker arm and spring back on and it ran pretty much the same after that...........now it wont even start after test driving it over and over about 5-10miles altogether............

if its not the valve then i was thinking it could have something to do with a vaccuum line the i might have ripped of knocked out with changing covers.....or it might be an electrical wires but i just want some of your opinions

(i know this is an extreme NOOB mistake im just hoping im not going to have to put another 1500 in a $4500 car)
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Yep. Indeed a N0Ob mistake. From what it reads it seems like you've just fucked up a valve guide. The head will have to come off and sent to a machine shop.
Good luck.

P.S. DO NOT GRAB VALVE STEMS WITH PLIARS!

P.P.S. The valve covers you chose were most likely for a traditional SBC with centerbolt heads. Not even sure how or why it would've messed up your rockers because regardless they should fit... Unless you put them on backwards.

P.P.P.S. And to answer your question a valve should be able to glide with absolutely no friction.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yep. Indeed a N0Ob mistake. From what it reads it seems like you've just fucked up a valve guide. The head will have to come off and sent to a machine shop.
Good luck.

P.S. DO NOT GRAB VALVE STEMS WITH PLIARS!

P.P.S. The valve covers you chose were most likely for a traditional SBC with centerbolt heads. Not even sure how or why it would've messed up your rockers because regardless they should fit... Unless you put them on backwards.

P.P.P.S. And to answer your question a valve should be able to glide with absolutely no friction.

yup yup yup. never grab anything on an engine with plyers of Any kind! even the slightest mark can F something up real bad