LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

weight reduction??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weight reduction??

i want to drop around 200-300 pounds or so without really making it look like the car was butchered...like i want my seats left in and stuff like that left alone...just what kind of stuff could i take out and it not matter much?? i want to leave the a/c in too..help out guys!!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front/rear bumper supports
side impact bars
heat shields
speakers
amp
cruise control
any unneeded wires
carpet/sound deadening
floor mats
horn
sway bar (entire setup)
windshield wiper water holder thingy (lol at my name for it)
rear seatbelts
spare tire and jack
sun visors
ttop holders

that will cut some weight off.. not 2-300 lbs.. i dont know if that is possible without taking seats and stuff out.. just getting rid of cats and stuff like that when you do LTs and exhaust cuts off a lot.

hope that could help

ps. there is a weight reduc. list you can look at yourself.. its around here somehwere.. search for it.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

I would ADVISE highly if its a street car NOT to remove the side impact bars or even the bumper supports.

Spear tires and jack
Sound deadening on the back of carpet
Un needed change, CD's, and owners manual.
Rear Seat belts, MAYBE leave the seats themselves in.
All Heat sheilding except whats near the gas tank.
Floor mats
Emissions equipment (AIR/EGR etc etc)
Un needed metal brackets
Cruise/ABS
Light weight battery
Delete Front Sway Bar
Quality Fiberglass hood
Amp
Taking out the power assist if you have them, or switching from leather to cloth interior.
Removing coolant overflow fluid and washer fluid.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the build on my 93: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/859437-my-new-1993-z28-project.html

I've done the exact same thing. I wanted to keep AC, PS, two seats, and all of the interior panels. My grand total to this point = 307.509699 lbs + all the stuff I still have to either cut out or weigh. I have about another 150 lbs I can take out of it in going to a TH350, my new converter, and cutting on some things. Then I'm going to have to start buying things like brakes, seats, suspension parts, etc... It should be down to around 2750-2800 lbs with me in it once all of that is done. That includes all of the amenities I listed above.

EDIT: Read above posts. Power windows and doors are actually lighter than the manual ones. You can also take out the heat shield by the gas tank as long as you have a cat back or duals that don't retain as much heat as the stock system. Otherwise you can cause your gas to evaporate. The weight reduction list is in the drag racing section. It's a sticky towards the top.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Fiberglass hood
UMI K-Member

Both are spendy to do but you shed great weight!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys like i said before i want to keep it a driver so none of the seats will go and the back belts dont weigh enough to worry about so im going to leave them...ok now heres what i got so far

1. Fiberglass sunoco ramair hood...ima look at some lists but it looks like im just going to have to upgrade with some mods now...the reason doing this is im low on cash just getting a new place and a trs-4 beat me the other day and i want to shed some weight so next time at the track i could get him....i missed a shift on the race and he has some sick *** turbo, its like 18 lbs!!! no joke...ive been pissed ever since then and have it out for him
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jarretthise
ok guys like i said before i want to keep it a driver so none of the seats will go and the back belts dont weigh enough to worry about so im going to leave them...ok now heres what i got so far

1. Fiberglass sunoco ramair hood...ima look at some lists but it looks like im just going to have to upgrade with some mods now...the reason doing this is im low on cash just getting a new place and a trs-4 beat me the other day and i want to shed some weight so next time at the track i could get him....i missed a shift on the race and he has some sick *** turbo, its like 18 lbs!!! no joke...ive been pissed ever since then and have it out for him
if your not worried about a few lbs like the rear seat belts you will NEVER EVER EVER get 2-300 lbs off of your car.. period. youi better worry about every little ounce if you dont want to take seats and stuff out..
Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
if your not worried about a few lbs like the rear seat belts you will NEVER EVER EVER get 2-300 lbs off of your car.. period. youi better worry about every little ounce if you dont want to take seats and stuff out..
yea true..but i just dont want to get pulled over and have someone back there and get a ticket for no seatbelt lol...oh well 25 bucks isnt gonna break me!!

OK NOW!!! If i remove the front swaybar how much will i shed?? will it help me all that much in the long run? i dont drive my car much and ive heard that it helps for the straight line, so im not worried about a little town driving with it off. does it really help as much in a quarter mile race? i do more interstate driving when i do drive it so will it affect that?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front sway bar and endlinks is maybe 20lbs. Maybe. It does a lot more for weight transfer than it does for weight removal.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
yea true..but i just dont want to get pulled over and have someone back there and get a ticket for no seatbelt lol...oh well 25 bucks isnt gonna break me!!

OK NOW!!! If i remove the front swaybar how much will i shed?? will it help me all that much in the long run? i dont drive my car much and ive heard that it helps for the straight line, so im not worried about a little town driving with it off. does it really help as much in a quarter mile race? i do more interstate driving when i do drive it so will it affect that?
It helps in weight transfer at the track plus it sheds ~20lbs. off the front end but would be a very bad idea to take the sway bar off especially since you drive the car on the interstate. I would only take the swaybar off if I had the car trailored to the track, if I did it at the track or lived pretty damn close by. The nose will dive more when braking, the handling will suffer, etc. etc.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Re-locate the Battery to the back.. might as well move some necessary weight around to help you.

I removed the Rear Seats and no one rides back there at all..why remove them and still put someone back there..
Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

It helps in weight transfer at the track plus it sheds ~20lbs. off the front end but would be a very bad idea to take the sway bar off especially since you drive the car on the interstate. I would only take the swaybar off if I had the car trailored to the track, if I did it at the track or lived pretty damn close by. The nose will dive more when braking, the handling will suffer, etc. etc.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven one without a front sway bar? It's completely fine for normal to moderate street and interstate driving. Not good for autocross obviously, but it is very, very far from unsafe on the street.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i know its unsafe and i dont really want to do it, but i really dont drive it all that often either.. i guess i do some interstate driving but the more i think about it, its more in town driving... i guess kinda like a cruise into town and back you know...everynow and then i will hop on the interstate, but not very often...i thought i drove it more often but i think about it and i dont really so....would it hurt me for like a cruise into town and back and maybe some racing inbetween on the streets and track? how fast would i be able to go with it off? odds are im not going to....there is a guy who wants my car and i want his so wke are thinking about trading and its setup to run fast....i dont know the times but its fast
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven one without a front sway bar? It's completely fine for normal to moderate street and interstate driving. Not good for autocross obviously, but it is very, very far from unsafe on the street.
Yes and the car felt pretty uncomfortable, granted theres a decent amount of windy roads back at home and the roads are quite shitty but something I don't trust driving without. I have heard of people being fine without them and some having some issues so personally something I wouldn't do.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

It'll drive like a boat without the front Sway Bar..
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine drives perfectly fine.. i have no sway bar and skinnies on the front. no other suspension.. DD it about 50 or so miles a day.. and interstate driving to/from the track.. i cant tell a difference at all.. with the skinnies i can tell under hard braking, but thats it.

shed the weight man.. you will be glad you did.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
It'll drive like a boat without the front Sway Bar..
lol not with skinnies...with stock wheels i dont notice at all...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily drove my car with no sway bar for 6 years and skinnies on the front with no problems
I felt fine now I wouldnt auto x the car but it was fine for normal driving
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool guys thanks alot....help is nice sometimes...i dont know everything yet lol..anybody have anymore suggestions about what i can drop weight wise?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
lol not with skinnies...with stock wheels i dont notice at all...
I guess it depends on the front springs, the one I drove had V6 Springs..

Quick Reply: weight reduction??