LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?
Yes I do, its risky but im just careful, and its worth it to shed the weight...
50.00%
No i dont, its not worth it, either keep it a track only car or dont remove them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?

How many of you guys drive your cars occasionally on the street without bumper supports or crash bars? maybe like 3 times a week nothing crazy, just cruises etc...?

cuz i need to shed weight but im afraid i will take away my streetability, and we all love to cruise once and awhile... just seeing how many of u guys do it...

any input would be greatly appreciated thx

tony
Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think people who take them off are stupid. why? becasue if u get into a front end collision your car is fucked, depends how fast u were going or how fast was the other person was going, yor motor will be pushed inward towards your firewall and **** everything up, trany, driveshaft, motor components will break..its stupid, if u wanna shed weight loose some weight or your own...its not worth taking them off unless your running yor car 100% on the track then yeah take them off
Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive around town I would sugg not to do it.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

im only 150lbs lol
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Not on the street, no way.
Fbodies generally wreck as nose-into-something or t-bone.
I'd like to walk away and I'd like to have a working arm and leg to make that easier.

My friend Mike has cadaver bones in his arm and leg after surviving a car wreck.
He's lucky to be alive and I'll never forget visiting him in the hospital that night.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
im only 150lbs lol
and loosing 20 pounds will do u good and your car..
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

loosing 20lbs off me?! or my car? and yes to me every ounce counts when it comes to cutting weight out of my car
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not agree with driving around w/o the bumper supports on the car. However the car in question is my hubby's and we are planning to put them back on the car when we get back from deployment.

We drive the car maybe once, twice a week on the street if that. He took them off to save weight on the car, I tried telling him it's not worth it but he took them off anyway.
I don't think he knows where the bolts are to put them back on the car. We are going to have a job when we get back.

I have my T/A and I am not taking them off of it. I will spray before I do that to go faster.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup and with out air bags and ABS and.. well you get the idea.

Then again the Cage and six point harness makes me feel good
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Launching!

I removed my front bumper support because if i do something stupid and wreck in the front, chances are its my own fault. Although other people do scare me, there is also an amount of situational awareness that goes along with being a defensive driver.

As for the rear, that one stays for sure. I would hate to fold my quarter panels on a light wreck just for the 25 lbs of weight savings in the rear... those bastards are hard to fix...

Also, my T/A is just a weekend warrior as apposed to a daily driver... If it was a DD, it would have all stayed in...

-justin
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just remove the front support. Simply because people are idiots and you can't control somebody rear ending you.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

pulled mine in 01 or 02
still have abs though
I was more worried about no front sway and skinnies than the supports
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slammer454
i would just remove the front support. Simply because people are idiots and you can't control somebody rear ending you.
Exactly my point. My 6pt makes up for the door bars.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Great point, I ended up doing the same. Weight over the rear is not a bad thing either.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thats a good thing, but lets sy some1 slams on there breaks in front of you and you dont have time to react to turn and you end up smashing them on the rear??
if some1 is that serious of loosing weith on their car thys should just remove the ac, stereo, spare tire, **** like that. not things that will help ur car get totaled in a car accident. but thats just me, you can do what u want to ur car, we dont need to be telling u what to do with i, just make some wise choices..
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just relocated the Battery to the back, and have removed the Rear Seats/Belts, AC System, Spare Tire, and a couple of little un-used things here n there, but I won't pull out safety equipment.
I have the Driver's side Air Bag disconnected, for the reason that I'm the only one that drives the Car, and I wear glasses, so I'd rather bust my nose than be blind by little plastic fragments if my glasses shatter.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm oh yeah we debated this not long ago......

My outlook on the bumpers are unless you get hit 5-10 mph in the parking lot, I don't think they are going to do jack **** in a wreck. You get rear ended 25+ your rear quarters are going to crinkle up anyway.

Another quick question. How many of you still have full coverage on your 15-11 year old cars? If you do and crash what are you going to get for it? Lets face it, I've seen dent free rollers go for $500 on this site, its not like if crashed its the end of the world, start over.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Hmmm oh yeah we debated this not long ago......

My outlook on the bumpers are unless you get hit 5-10 mph in the parking lot, I don't think they are going to do jack **** in a wreck. You get rear ended 25+ your rear quarters are going to crinkle up anyway.

Another quick question. How many of you still have full coverage on your 15-11 year old cars? If you do and crash what are you going to get for it? Lets face it, I've seen dent free rollers go for $500 on this site, its not like if crashed its the end of the world, start over.
Yeah but why put yourself at more risk for a little less weight. The weight you would shed off isn't going to make the car faster to the point where you notice it while driving. And if you did notice a change it wouldn't much of anything. And as far as insurance goes..it's better to have full coverage with all the low life's driving around w/o insurance. I was hit once by a non insured driver and if I hadn't had full coverage I would have payed out a decent ammount of $$$ for the fix. And most of us on here prob have a good deal of time and money spent on getting our cars to run the way we want them to. So to say it's not the end of the world and start over is dumb..
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yup and with out air bags and ABS and.. well you get the idea.

Then again the cage and six point harness makes me feel good
+1

Originally Posted by $O$OE
if some1 is that serious of loosing weight on their car they should just remove the ac, stereo, spare tire, **** like that. ..
Have done all of that also
Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will only remove the support on m car if i will only be using it as a track car only, and no street use.

Quick Reply: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?