Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Output shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Output shaft play

So, in my ongoing struggle with my T-56, I found out yesterday the output shaft has some play in it - probably 1/16" all around. Not sure if that's normal or not, but by wiggling it around I could reproduce the weird sound I've been getting, so I'm of a mind this could be an issue.

Sound I'm getting typically happens when I'm in gear, say 4th, and slow down without clutching out and putting the transmission into neutral. Get some strange "wonk" clunks, just a sort of "loose part spinning" sound. Sort of hard to describe. I'll also get it if I clutch out while decelerating and the drivetrain still has some spin to it - almost like there's drivetrain slop and the output shaft isn't spinning in sync with the rest of the transmission guts. Also, if slowing suddenly while in gear (pretty common in traffic around here), I'll get a series of loud clunks, again like there's too much slack in the drivetrain and the transmission is spinning too fast and then being forcibly slowed by the driveshaft.

Honestly have no clue as to what could be broken, although I have a feeling the constant on/off the clutch and gas in traffic has something to do with it. Checked all the mounts yesterday and all bolts on the mounts, torque arm, and crossmember are tight, so it's nothing twisting around that way. The sound, when under the car and moving the driveshaft back and forth, is coming from the very rear of the trans, right where the output shaft comes out.

On top of that, I don't know a single good transmission shop in Kansas City that I trust to look at it to get a professional opinion on.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked the rear end ?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but the noise itself is coming from between the shifter and arm rest.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally the transmission will carry noises from the rear , up the stick and into the cabin. This is amplified when the stick is changed with a non-isolated aftermarket stick( no rubber). So, rear end noise heard at the console stick is very common and very comon to mistake for a transmission issue. That said, the output shaft "wag" you describe is not normal and may be a factor in your particular case. I would suspect the pocket bearing health. Thats the bearing between the output shaft and the input shaft. If you have run with low oil or a bad pilot bearing, this pocket bearing goes next. If your trans were rebuilt without correct shimming/ gross end play, it could cause the wag and bearing damage. Bottom line is before installing it you should tear it down to correct the concern before you get further damage.

Quick Reply: Output shaft play