Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I dont understand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I dont understand?

The pilot bearing when out on my '95 hawk. Transmission shop pulled the transmission. The pilot bearing free spins in side the crank. I got a new bigger outside diameter brass bushing from Eagle cranks. The transmission shop now says they need to pull the transmission apart to get the Input shaft machined. why the would they need to do this? My guess is that they are trying to get more length out of the end of the Input shaft to come in contact with the pilot bearing. Wouldn't a longer bushing or something as easy as a washer to make up the difference to fix what ever it is they are trying to feed me?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've never heard of having to do this . I agree using a washer behind the bushing to push it out some would probably be a better choice .
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the mating surface of the input shaft got chewed when the bushing/bearing failed, then it would have to be machined to clean it up. Otherwise, it will fail the bearing quickly.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a new transmission. they still said they would need to pull it apart....?? i see what you are saying but it is a new input shaft. i just think they are trying to get more $$ out of me. either way i'm pulling my car out of there this weekend.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

Its an LT1 engine with an LT1 T56 ??? If so , I don't see the problem .
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

D&D Transmission with a viper up-grade i bought off a buddy out of his '96 T/A. the transmission shop hasn't even seen it yet and they still want to pull it a part. should be interesting tomorrow when i go over. i'm going to have them show me why they say they need to do the machine work. regardless of what they will say and explain, enough of those that i have asked all have the same answer of what the heck? D&D transmission who built the trans, Garth at Leading Edge Performance who built the car, Eagle Cranks and Six State all said pretty much the same thing.. "why machine the input shaft when it's a pilot bearing issue? get your car out of there"

Last edited by hawk584; 10-16-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went down to the trany shop today, the guy said it was either get a new crank or machine the input shaft. said the inside of the crank where the pilot bearing is pressed in to is gone and looks like a icecream cone "V" ish shape. said they would need to put a bigger diamitor bearing in which would move it's location further out and that's why thy would need to machine the input shaft. from the research i've done, those that have given me advice and their knolege it seams a bushing will do the same job as a bearing. i'm pretty sure the larger diam. brass bushing i received from Eagle cranks will work just fine. if anything i can always have a longer one made.