Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ slipping!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3+ slipping!!!!

I have a Spec 3+ in my z28 and it is starting to slip pretty bad. I have only had it installed for about 1000 miles with absolutly no track time, no hard launches or slipping the clutch, and very rarely getting on it! I broke the clutch in for well over 500 miles. It was just a bolt on car but just put a cam in it and got it tuned last week. It did'nt look like the clutch was slipping on the dyno by looking at the graph but that might have been the early stages. I first noticed it when I got my car back from getting it tuned and it started slipping when I hit 4th. I don't think it really slipped before because it was breaking loose when I was hitting 2nd-3rd. I put it in 5th gear today at around 1750 rpm and went wot and it started to slip pretty bad. The clutch still chaters quite a bit too if you don't give it enough gas when you first leave but I was told this is normal. Does anyone have any insight on this situation (bad install, bad clutch, some other problem). I had a performace shop put it in and we changed the slave at the same time. Maybe the SPEC guy on here can chime in?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

I just put a spec 3+ in mine with a fidanza flywheel and I've got about 800 miles on mine and seems to be fine so far. It grips pretty hard and the chatter has seemed to died down quite a bit since first install...when it was TERRIBLE! If you don't throttle it though it will chatter that's normal. It's a race clutch, you really can't feather it. Just check your hydraulic fluids, maybe bleed the slave and pump it up again and run it. See if that helps.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I have a Spec 3+ in my z28 and it is starting to slip pretty bad. I have only had it installed for about 1000 miles with absolutly no track time, no hard launches or slipping the clutch, and very rarely getting on it! I broke the clutch in for well over 500 miles. It was just a bolt on car but just put a cam in it and got it tuned last week. It did'nt look like the clutch was slipping on the dyno by looking at the graph but that might have been the early stages. I first noticed it when I got my car back from getting it tuned and it started slipping when I hit 4th. I don't think it really slipped before because it was breaking loose when I was hitting 2nd-3rd. I put it in 5th gear today at around 1750 rpm and went wot and it started to slip pretty bad. The clutch still chaters quite a bit too if you don't give it enough gas when you first leave but I was told this is normal. Does anyone have any insight on this situation (bad install, bad clutch, some other problem). I had a performace shop put it in and we changed the slave at the same time. Maybe the SPEC guy on here can chime in?
You mention that it had no real hard pulls on it, then you mentioned it getting dyno'd, thats most likely where it happened, they sometimes (if not allways) thrash the dog **** out of your car on a dyno, so i'de say it was thrashed on some what, how many miles where on it when you had it dyno'd?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

I did mention I got on it every once in a while but I hav'nt had it at the strip and launched it or anything like that. Just went through a few of the gears on the street is all. It had right under 1000 miles on it when it went to the dyno to get tuned. There is no doubt in my mind they gave it hell on the dyno. They are kinda supposed to to get it tuned but it still should'nt be slipping after 1000 miles.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Halloran
I just put a spec 3+ in mine with a fidanza flywheel and I've got about 800 miles on mine and seems to be fine so far. It grips pretty hard and the chatter has seemed to died down quite a bit since first install...when it was TERRIBLE! If you don't throttle it though it will chatter that's normal. It's a race clutch, you really can't feather it. Just check your hydraulic fluids, maybe bleed the slave and pump it up again and run it. See if that helps.
I will try that and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

If the clutch was not fully seated when the car when on the dyno, and it was beat to heck and back while on the dyno, then this could cause your issues. So to could any contaminant on the disc surface. All I can ask you to do is pull the clutch out of the car and send me some shots of the assembly. This will allow me to better assess the situation. Once I see it I can provide more insight. Thanks!